Splunk Search

identify host not in a list...

sjringo
Communicator

I have a query that returns a set of hosts that have an event string.

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType ("aString1" AND ( host = "aHostName*"))

|  stats values(host) AS aServerList1

I have a list of servers ("Server1", "Server2", "Server3")   <-  ServerList2

What im trying to do is to find servers/hosts that are not returned from the initial query.

i.e. hosts that exists in ServerList2 but are not in ServerList1 ?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

I saw a posting about using a .csv file but I cannot put a file on the Splunk server it all needs to be in the Splunk query.

I made an assumption that the .csv would reside on the Splunk server the query is being executed on.

I could use two queries as I have another query that gets a unique list of hosts that have splunk traffic.

Same concept, instead of hardcoded list of hosts the list of hosts is generated from a query.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sjringo,

putting the server list in the search it's possible if you have few server to monitor, otherwise it's complicated!

In this case, you could run something like this:

| metasearch index=_internal host In (host1, host2, host3)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | makeresults | eval host=host1, count=0 | fields host count ]
| append [ | makeresults | eval host=host2, count=0 | fields host count ]
| append [ | makeresults | eval host=host3, count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total By host
| where total=0

I hint to use the lookup!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This method is indeed more efficient.  And it doesn't have to be complicated if mvappend(X,...) is used.

| stats values(host) as hosts by sourcetype ``` not strictly neccessary but makes subsequent search faster if the event list is large ```

| append 
    [ | makeresults
    | eval hosts = mvappend("Server1", "Server2", "Server3")
    ]
| stats values(sourcetype) as sources by hosts
| where isnull(sources)

The static server list can easily be extended.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

My first goal was to get something to work I will look at your suggestion to see if I can incorporate or change over to use this.  I have around 25 servers that im trying to monitor.

Thanks for your input !

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

I did not think of comparing the results of two queries earlier and that would be a better solution:

If I have the following two lists of hosts:

|  stats values(host) AS aServerList1

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType ("aString2" AND ( host = "aHostName*"))

|  stats values(host) AS aServerList2

aServerList2 would be my list of all hosts and would like to find those hosts that exists in aServerList2 but do not exist in aServerList1 ?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sjringo,

you could also use another search to have the list of servers to monitor, something like this:

| metasearch index=_internal 
| stats count BY host
| append [ | metasearch index=_internal  earliest=-30d@d latest=now | stats count BY host | eval count=0 | fields host count]
| stats sum(count) AS total
| where total=0

but there's a limit in this solution: you could lack some servers because they aren't in the second list (they are missing in the last 30 days.

For this reason, I hinted to use a lookup with the list of servers to monitor.

Beware: if you use "value(host) As host", you have a multivalue field that you cannot use for monitoring.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

The metadata search, I dont think is what I want.  I found another post on set diff that compares two searches ? just having some troubles getting it to work.

The first query finds all hosts that have an event that matches "String1" and particular host name with a wildcard search.

Query 1:

search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType ("String1" AND host="aHostName*") | stats count by host | table host

Query two finds all servers based on just the host name with a wild card search.

Query 2:

search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType (host="aHostName*") | stats count by host | table host

Now my next step is to figure out how to get this to work with  | set diff? or is there another way to find what is missing when comparing the two tables ?

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

Here is my solution:

| set diff

[ | search index=anIndex sourcetype1=aSourceType ("aString1" AND (host="aHostName1*" OR host="aHostName2*"))

| stats count by host | table host ]

[ search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType2 (host="aHostName1*" OR host="aHostName2*")

| stats count by host | table host ]

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sjringo,

this solution is less efficient than mine, but if  you have the wanted results, you can use it; infact if you search in Community the most solutions are similar to mine.

In addition, using the "index=anindex" filter, you aren't sure of results because maybe a server could be missed in both the searches.

For this reason, I hint to use "index=_internal" because you're sure to have logs from active servers.

"| metadata" is a way to have a faster search but you cannot use it using words as a filter.

Ciao and happy spluking.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

I am using index=anIndex cause I need to first search for a particular string to identify which servers log a 

known event.  I then compare against a list of 25 known servers that are logging splunk traffic.

I will see if I can use any of your suggestions in my next iteration of this.

Thanks for your input !

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sjringo,

I hinted to use _internal instead of anindex because, to use anindex you must be sure that you always have logs in this index, instead using _internal, you're sure of the presence of logs because they are always generated by Splunk, if you haven't them it's the error condition you're searching.

Anyway, if you can I hint to use the lookup, to have more control on your monitoring, otherways une of the solutions hintd by myself or by @yuanliu can be your solution.

Please, when you'll solve the problem accept one solution for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the Contributors 😉

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sjringo,

you have to pust the list of host to monitor in a lookup (called e.g. perimeter.csv), with at least one field (host), and run a search like this:

| metasearch index=_internal
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup perimeter.csv | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | fields host count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total By host
| where total=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...