Splunk Search

How to return stats from subsearch if first search returns no events

rune_hellem
Contributor

I have created a search that will trigger if no events from the following search is being returned

index=ipl_prod source="e:\\logs\\icc-application.log" sourcetype="log4j:ipl" operationName=hentOpptjeningsperioder status=OK

Search is only being triggerd during business hours Monday to Friday, problem is that I cannot instruct the cron schedule to not trigger on holidays. Holidays means no activity, so to make it a bit easier to evaluate if this is a false positive or not I want to add to the email being sent statistics of all statuses. Then we know if no other statuses has been found either, it is safe to ignore.

index=ipl_prod source="e:\\logs\\icc-application.log" sourcetype="log4j:ipl" operationName=hentOpptjeningsperioder status=OK [if no eventes then subsearch and return those events]
Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| appendpipe
    [stats count as _rows
    | where _rows=0
    | eval status="no rows found"]
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rune_hellem,

let me understand: you want to exclude results i holidays to avoid false positives, is it correct?

if this is your need, I solved this problem using a lookup containing all the holidays of the week, something like this:

day          fest
2022-01-01   0
2022-01-02   0
2022-01-03   1
2022-01-04   1
2022-01-05   1
2022-01-06   0
2022-01-07   1
2022-01-08   0
2022-01-09   0
2022-01-10   1
and so on

in this way you can a condition to your search to be sure that in week-ends and holidays you don't have results, something like this:

index=ipl_prod source="e:\\logs\\icc-application.log" sourcetype="log4j:ipl" operationName=hentOpptjeningsperioder status=OK
| eval day=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d")
| lookup calendar.csv day OUTPUT fest
| search fest=1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

(called e.g. calendar.csv)  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...