Splunk Search

i have a join query which i need to optimize using OR and Stats, Since i am dealing with timestamp and fetching last(field), i am struggling, Can any one help?

m4sucess

index="index1 sourcetype="sourcetype1"
| join deviceId [ search index="index2" sourcetype="sourcetype2" productFamily="xyz" ]
| where productFamily="xyz"
| sort _time
| stats last(p2mp) as p2mp by deviceName

index1 has fields like deviceId,p2mp,deviceName
index2 has fields like productFamily,deviceId

I want to remove join, want to rebuild the optimized query which doesn't have job, append,sub search etc. Just OR, stats, eval ..
I am trying with maintaining timestamp because I am using last keyword here and after doing OR and stats, all the data mixed up and I am not getting the result which I want. Can anyone help me??

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@m4sucess,
Based on few assumptions, does this work in your case,

(index=index1 OR index=index2) (sourcetype="sourcetype1" OR sourcetype="sourcetype2")
|stats latest(p2mp) as p2mp,latest(deviceName) as deviceName,latest(productFamily) as productFamily by deviceId
|where productFamily="xyz"
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

m4sucess

It's not working, i want last value of p2mp based on index1's timestamp. problem is once i got stats, everything is messed up, all the multivalues are combined in every field based on deviceid and then it's giving wrong output for last(field)

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

what about adding below before stats?Does that bring us closer?

|eval index1_time=if(index=="index1",_time,null())
 |eventstats latest(p2mp) as  p2mp by deviceId,index1_time
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

m4sucess

Hi renjith, just want to understand, my requirement is to perform last, but you are using latest, why so??

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@m4sucess, you are ordering the time using sort _time which will order the events in and display the oldest event as first event. Then you are using last which brings you the last event which is actually the latest event. Instead of that I am using latest to bring back the latest event. You shall run a sample search to confirm

index=_internal earliest=-15m|sort _time|stats last(_time) as last_time,latest(_time) as latest_time)
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

m4sucess

yes. I figure it out later. it's working perfectly. Thanks a lot.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@m4sucess, if it resolved your question, please accept as answer to close this thread. Thanks!

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...