Splunk Search

how to find what commands in the search language are being used

harishsplunk7
Explorer

I want to list what commands in the search language are being used.  I think its possible in the same _audit index and  I want to be able to do is count the number of times each command is used in search

Example : 

stats used 2 time

eval used 5 times 

rex used 7 time

timechart used 10 time

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is a REST endpoint, /services/search/v2/parser,  you may be able to use to parse queries into the commands used.  It requires the POST method so it will have to be used from a script (not from the UI).  See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.1/RESTREF/RESTsearch#search.2Fv2.2Fparser

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could start with something like this:

index=_audit
| rex max_match=0 field=search "\|\s*(?<command>\w+)"
| stats count by command

However, you may get some false results if pipes are used in the search where they are not delimiting commands. Also, you may find that macros hide the use of some commands.

harishsplunk7
Explorer

Thank you, I am getting the result but unwanted fields are coming like jira, macro, filename. How to get rid of this from result

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| where command!="jira" AND command!="macro" AND command!="filename"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...