Splunk Search

how to exclude a certain field value from results

ayenumula
Explorer

Search query: list the last known user (userid) on each host.

sourcetype=syslog source=/var/log/secure "pam_unix(sshd:session)" | rex "(?i) user (?P<userid>[^ ]+)" | stats latest(userid) as userid by host, _time | dedup host

I then want to exclude a particular user "system" from the result list.

I tried the NOT and "!=" in every part of the query but not working, can you help me with the search query

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion
.. | where userid != "system" | ...

or maybe tweak your regex

(?i)\suser\s(?!system)(?P<userid>\w+)

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion
.. | where userid != "system" | ...

or maybe tweak your regex

(?i)\suser\s(?!system)(?P<userid>\w+)

ayenumula
Explorer

Is there a certain way to exclude multiple users using | where userid != "system"

0 Karma

ayenumula
Explorer

Damien's answer: | where userid != "system". This worked as it included the host (row) which has "system" user but excluded "system" from the result set, it still displayed the host with other users.

I tried Alterdego's answer: "| search userid!=system". This did not work for me because it completely excluded the host (row) which contains the word "system" even thou it contains other users.

0 Karma

alterdego
Path Finder

Does the value "system" appear in the filed you create? If so then you should be able to pipe your original search to the search command and exclude the "system" value with "| search userid!=system".

sourcetype=syslog source=/var/log/secure "pam_unix(sshd:session)" | rex "(?i) user (?P[^ ]+)" | stats latest(userid) as userid by host, _time | dedup host | search userid!=system

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...