Splunk Search

how to compare and replace fields value on an indexA from a different fields on indexB

skylabsit
Engager

Hi,
I have an an indexA which have logs which includes data in each raw like:
User=11111,Language=English,Usage=btn_section1_1,Experience=btn_section2_4,Problems=btn_section4_8
Fields are extracted well here.

now I have imported to splunk using DB Connect (inputs) from sql server, a dictionary of key-value of "btns"
and it stored on indexB, with 2 fields for each event, looks like:
Key=btn_section1_1, Value="Often"
Key=btn_section2_4, Value="All OK"
... and so on...

Now I need to achieve in a query to join both indexes 
and then to have a table for each event, like below where I got the value from the IndexB which translate the actual "btn":
User   Language  Usage       Experience
1111  English      "Often    "All OK"

I appreciate for help

Thanks!

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skylabsit ,

why didn't you used a lookup instead of index?

it's easier to manage and quicker!

Anyway, you could use join command or stats command:

using join (I don like join because it's very slow, but probably having few events in IndexB it could be sufficiently performant):

index=indexA
| join Experience [ search index=indexB | rename Key AS Experience Value AS Experience_Value | fields Experience Experience_Value ]
| table User Language Usage Experience_Value
| rename Experience_Value AS Experience

If you want also Problems, you could add another join similar to the first.

Using stats command, you could run something like this:

index=indexA OR index=IndexB
| rename Key AS Experience Value AS Experience_Value
| stats values(Experience_Value) AS Experience_Value BY User Language Usage Experience 
| fields - Experience

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skylabsit ,

why didn't you used a lookup instead of index?

it's easier to manage and quicker!

Anyway, you could use join command or stats command:

using join (I don like join because it's very slow, but probably having few events in IndexB it could be sufficiently performant):

index=indexA
| join Experience [ search index=indexB | rename Key AS Experience Value AS Experience_Value | fields Experience Experience_Value ]

If you want also Problems, you could add another join similar to the first.

Using stats command, you could run something like this:

index=indexA OR index=IndexB
| rename Key AS Experience Value AS Experience_Value
| stats values(Experience_Value) AS Experience_Value BY User Language Usage Experience 
| fields - Experience

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

skylabsit
Engager

Hi @gcusello 
thank you for your replies.
I test your suggestion, and the Join actually made the job. I got the required values .
an repeated the join for 3 more fields, and it works.

0 Karma

skylabsit
Engager

@gcusello 
I wondered, I have do to same joining..but it with a dbxquery. and I cannot get it working..

I have a big DB table, that cannot imported in splunk, so what I am trying to make a lookup via dbxquery
but I need to pass param of account number into it from up query? is it possible?

| dbxlookup  connection="db-dev" query="SELECT AccountNumber  FROM DB.Customers  WHERE AccountNumber = "$AccountNumber$"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...