andreyglauzer

I have events similar to these:

component, technology, mydate
silva, java, 06/20/2019
souza, java, 06/20/2019
silva, java, 07/20/2019
silva, python, 12/07/2019
uol, python, 09/07/2019

I would like to group the events by the technology field, taking all the events that have the largest date. But I can only bring up an event when I try to bring in the latest date using the search:
index = "you" | stats max (mydate) as best by technology

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Add this before your stats line:

... | eval mydate = strptime(mydate, "%m/%d/%Y")

Then add this to the end:

... | eval fieldformat mydate = strftime(mydate, "%m/%d/%Y")
0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Try this!

|dedup technology sortby -mydate
0 Karma

andreyglauzer

Maybe I didn't express myself well. I need to group display all latest events by date by technology. And sometimes I have more than one event with the same date and same technology.

This works better, thanks for the tip.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are still not expressing your needs well. Post sample events, then post a mockup of your desired output. It really is just that simple. You post that and we will post the SPL.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The max function needs a numeric argument, not the strings in the mydate field. Convert the dates into epochs and you should have your results.

index = "you" | eval epoch=strptime(mydate, "%m/%d/%Y") 
| stats max(epoch) as best by technology 
| eval best = strftime(epoch, "%m/%d/%Y")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

andreyglauzer

Maybe I didn't express myself well. I need to group display all latest events by date by technology. And sometimes I have more than one event with the same date and same technology.

Thanks for the max tip.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...