Splunk Search

get size/bytes of log events and the number events by direction (request/response)

edookati
Path Finder

I am trying to get the number of requests/response that we send/receive to/from one application and the combined size of request & responses per hour.

I am using the below query, but this doesn't seem to work.

index=ABC sourcetype=abc ServiceName=A* OR ServiceName=B* OR ServiceName=C* | eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eventstats sum(raw_len), count by date_hour, Direction

I need results in the below table format...

date.hour NumberofRequests(direction=REQUEST) Number of Responses (direction=RESPONSE) Sum(bytes)

Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

index=ABC sourcetype=abc ServiceName=A* OR ServiceName=B* OR ServiceName=C* | eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eval count_{Direction} = 1 | timechart sum(count_REQUEST) as NumberOfRequests sum(count_RESPONSE) as NumberOfResponses sum(raw_len) as CombinedSize

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

index=ABC sourcetype=abc ServiceName=A* OR ServiceName=B* OR ServiceName=C* | eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eval count_{Direction} = 1 | timechart sum(count_REQUEST) as NumberOfRequests sum(count_RESPONSE) as NumberOfResponses sum(raw_len) as CombinedSize

edookati
Path Finder

great! it worked. Thanks a lot.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...