Splunk Search

event contains same field with different values

Mike6960
Path Finder

My events contain teh same fieldnames multiple times with different values.
I.E.
< active_recip="9" deliv_recip="0" hard_bounced="4" hostname="clnpniv.local *" soft_bounced="0"/>
< active_recip="3" deliv_recip="0" hard_bounced="1" hostname="clnpdmz.local *" soft_bounced="0"/>

I tried a field extraction but then only one value is recognized as a field. How can I solve this? I searched online voor MV etc. but I am a bit stuck

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion
| rex field=_raw "hard_bounced=\"+(?<hard>.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | rex field=_raw "hostname=\"+(?<hostname>.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | eval fields = mvzip(hard,hostname) 
| mvexpand fields 
| rex field=fields "(?<hard>\w+),(?<hostname>\w+)" 
| table _time hard hostname
0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Finally- the above one should work..for some reason 'hard' and 'hostname' got missed out even after applying it within the code blocks, i dunno why !

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi,

Your issue should be solved using this -
max_match
Syntax: max_match=
Description: Controls the number of times the regex is matched. If greater than 1, the resulting fields are multivalued fields.
Default: 1, use 0 to mean unlimited.
Ref. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/SearchReference/Rex

just append max_match=0 to your rex and it should fetch all values for the same regex field

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

append max_match=0 ?. Where? In the fieldextraction editor?

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

refer to the documentation above -
something like
sourcetype=linux_secure port "failed password" | rex "\s+(?port \d+)" max_match=0 | stats
so in this case your extracted field , ports, if there are more than one value for ports ALL of them will be fetched under ports.
You can re-use the field extractor regex if you don;t want to write your own regex , and similarly replace the above rex with the rex generated by the field extractor appended by max_match=0

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

Ok, I understand what you, but when I use the regex from the editor then I get the message 'unbalanced quotes'
Here is the rex:
^<\?\w+\s+\w+="\d+.\d+"\s+\w+="\w+-\d+"\s+\w+="\w+"\?>\s+<\w+\s+\w+\w+="\w+\w+"\s+\w+="\w+\s+\d+.\d+.\d+-\d+"\s+\w+="\w+.\w+.\w+"\s+\w+="\d+">\s+<\w+\w+\s+\w+\w+="\d+"\s+\w+\w+="\d+"\s+\w+\w+="\d+"\s+\w+_\w+="\d+"\s+\w+="(?P[^*]+)

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

do we only need to extract active_recip to soft_bounced, ie, the 4-5 fileds as shown in your sample events?

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

No, I need to extract the values for hard_bounced en for hostname

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Try this - <your index>|rex field=_raw "hard_bounced=\"+(?<hard>.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | rex field=_raw "hostname=\"+(?<hostname>.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | table hard,hostname

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

On second thoughts you might want them in separate row , try this if that is the case| rex field=_raw "hard_bounced=\"+(?.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | rex field=_raw "hostname=\"+(?.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | eval fields = mvzip(hard,hostname)
| mvexpand fields
| rex field=fields "(?\w+),(?\w+)"

Try both this one and the above..one of this is what you need

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

Hai @Sukisen1981 , if I use the second one I get the message 'Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex 'hard_bounced="+(?.?)"+': Regex: unrecognized character after (? or (?- '

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi, the code got corrupted while copying, essentially the second query is the same as the first one till mvzip starts...use this

<your index>|rex field=_raw "hard_bounced=\"+(?<hard>.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | rex field=_raw "hostname=\"+(?<hostname>.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | eval fields = mvzip(hard,hostname) 
| mvexpand fields 

Just try to fit the entire code in a continuous line, if you encounter errors., this will work

0 Karma

Mike6960
Path Finder

sadly, still the same error. Don't see a difference between the codes by the way

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

Hi - Sorry , I once again copied the same code....i am pasting the correct code now. The difference is in the rex field statement, before \w+ the individual field names have to be mentioned, it is just a minor rex syntax issue.
I apologise once again for pasting the same wrong code twice|rex field=_raw "hard_bounced=\"+(?.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | rex field=_raw "hostname=\"+(?.*?)\"+" max_match=0 | eval fields = mvzip(hard,hostname)
| mvexpand fields

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

i see it again the code is not getting pasted properly again.....look at the below

| rex field=_raw "hard_bounced=\"+(?.?)\"+" max_match=0 | rex field=_raw "hostname=\"+(?.?)\"+" max_match=0 | eval fields = mvzip(hard,hostname)
| mvexpand fields

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can do the extraction using props/transforms and add the MV_ADD = true in the transforms.conf

transforms.conf

[my_extraction]
REGEX = <regular expression>
MV_ADD = true

props.conf

[my_sourcetype]

REPORT-my_extraction = my_extraction
------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...