Splunk Search

eval not matching value from Data model

snemiro_514
Path Finder

Im rewritting a dashboard using data models. So far so good, but I'm stuck at this point where I need to redefine two new fields and the eval command is not matching the result.

My data model has a child object field TEST.status with values SUCCESS and ERROR.

In my previous chart, direct from the index I had:

search index | chart count as "#", count(eval(status=SUCCESS)) as Good, count(eval(status!=SUCCESS)) as ERR

which works, showing a table with count of total events, count of success and count of errors

Now, using my TEST object I'm doing the same thing, replacing the status by TEST.status, but it shows 0 counts.

| datamodel DM1 TEST search | chart count as "#", count(eval(TEST.status="SUCCESS)) as Good

The values are the same.... what could be wrong??

If I do a
| chart count by TEST.status

I have both values (SUCCESS, ERROR) listed with the proper number of events.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Enclose the field name in single quotes: eval('TEST.status'="SUCCESS")

The dot in the field name is treated by eval as the concatenation operator, adding the (non-existent) strings in TEST and status together, just like having a field named foo-bar will cause a subtraction to happen. The single quote tells eval to not do that.

Your chart example works because it doesn't attempt to apply any operators, it just treats the whole string as a field name right away.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Enclose the field name in single quotes: eval('TEST.status'="SUCCESS")

The dot in the field name is treated by eval as the concatenation operator, adding the (non-existent) strings in TEST and status together, just like having a field named foo-bar will cause a subtraction to happen. The single quote tells eval to not do that.

Your chart example works because it doesn't attempt to apply any operators, it just treats the whole string as a field name right away.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...