Splunk Search

do you have to restart Splunk when you've added a custom search command?

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

if i create a custom search command as described in http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/SearchReference/Aboutcustomsearchcommands do i have to restart Splunk before it'll work?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

npandith
Explorer

If you are trying to modify the commands.conf file then you no need to restart the splunk. If you are creating a new command then you need to restart the splunk for sure.

View solution in original post

npandith
Explorer

If you are trying to modify the commands.conf file then you no need to restart the splunk. If you are creating a new command then you need to restart the splunk for sure.

Lowell
Super Champion

Using the "getinfo" feature does reduce the need to restart splunk for certain parameter changes. For example, streaming, generating, preop, ... are all determine within the script (which can be changed at any time since splunk launches a new copy for each search). Take a look at splunk.Intersplunk.outputInfo() for more info. This has saved me from having to restart splunk a few times, but your millage may vary.

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

i think the rule of thumb is that if it is a *.conf file that is being edited you need a Splunk restart..(?)

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not a very accurate rule of thumb. Editing many search-time configurations (regardless of the conf file) does not require a restart of Splunk to take effect. Some do, however, notably savedsearches.conf. I believe that creating a new command in commands.conf requires a restart. However, changing the command script or commands.conf parameters for an existing command do not require a restart.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...