Splunk Search

create a multivalue field, based on multiple single value fields with the same field name

fsiemons
Engager

Hi there, I have a bit of a tough one.

I have a log with multiple entries of the same field, basically a list of values. I am trying to merge these values into a single new field, with a line for every value that was in the RAW event.

An example:

2020-07-21T01:52:37+00:00 devicename=device1 | id=a522131 | date=2020-07-21T01:51:20 | name=peter | score=5 | action=read | randomfield1=nothingimportant | score=2 | action=read | score=2 | action=write | score=2 | action=write | randomfield2=nothingimportant

The intended resulting table where "actions" is a mv field, listing all actions (merging "score" and "action" as well), each on a line, but within the single field (actions):

name=peter
actions=
5:read
2:read
2:write
2:write

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See if this helps.

| makeresults | eval _raw="2020-07-21T01:52:37+00:00 devicename=device1 | id=a522131 | date=2020-07-21T01:51:20 | name=peter | score=5 | action=read | randomfield1=nothingimportant | score=2 | action=read | score=2 | action=write | score=2 | action=write | randomfield2=nothingimportant"
```Above just creates test data```
| rex "\bname=(?<name>\w+)" 
| rex max_match=0 "score=(?<score>\d+)" 
| rex max_match=0 "action=(?<action>\w+)"
| eval actions=mvzip(score, action, ":")
| table name actions
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...