Splunk Search

correlate events between two indexes with timestamp

sigma
Path Finder

I have an index A and another index B. logs in A have a correlation to logs in B. But the only common field between them is 'timestamp'. There is a field 'fa' in index A and field 'fb' in index B.

timestamp in index A logs has a +5 minutes drift with index B.
Now I want to write a query to match field 'fa' in index A and find corresponding log based on timestamp (with +5 minutes drift) on index B and get me field 'fb' in index B.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sigma,

let me understand:

you want to filter the logs from index b using the timeastamp +5min found where in index A the condition is fa="your_value", at least the output is fb, is it correct?

if this is your requirement, you could try something like this:

index=indexB [ | search index=indexA fa="your_value" | eval earliest=_time, latest=relative_time(_time,"+300s") | fields earliest latest ]
| table fb

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sigma,

let me understand:

you want to filter the logs from index b using the timeastamp +5min found where in index A the condition is fa="your_value", at least the output is fb, is it correct?

if this is your requirement, you could try something like this:

index=indexB [ | search index=indexA fa="your_value" | eval earliest=_time, latest=relative_time(_time,"+300s") | fields earliest latest ]
| table fb

Ciao.

Giuseppe

sigma
Path Finder

Hero of the day.
Thank you @gcusello 
that was exactly I wanted.
what is I want to get events between timastamps (A and B)? for example I have a time say ''2023-09-02T15:22:04.001854200Z' and one '2023-09-02T15:27:04.001854200Z'.
I want those query except to set the time myself.

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...