Splunk Search

correlate events between two indexes with timestamp

sigma
Path Finder

I have an index A and another index B. logs in A have a correlation to logs in B. But the only common field between them is 'timestamp'. There is a field 'fa' in index A and field 'fb' in index B.

timestamp in index A logs has a +5 minutes drift with index B.
Now I want to write a query to match field 'fa' in index A and find corresponding log based on timestamp (with +5 minutes drift) on index B and get me field 'fb' in index B.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sigma,

let me understand:

you want to filter the logs from index b using the timeastamp +5min found where in index A the condition is fa="your_value", at least the output is fb, is it correct?

if this is your requirement, you could try something like this:

index=indexB [ | search index=indexA fa="your_value" | eval earliest=_time, latest=relative_time(_time,"+300s") | fields earliest latest ]
| table fb

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sigma,

let me understand:

you want to filter the logs from index b using the timeastamp +5min found where in index A the condition is fa="your_value", at least the output is fb, is it correct?

if this is your requirement, you could try something like this:

index=indexB [ | search index=indexA fa="your_value" | eval earliest=_time, latest=relative_time(_time,"+300s") | fields earliest latest ]
| table fb

Ciao.

Giuseppe

sigma
Path Finder

Hero of the day.
Thank you @gcusello 
that was exactly I wanted.
what is I want to get events between timastamps (A and B)? for example I have a time say ''2023-09-02T15:22:04.001854200Z' and one '2023-09-02T15:27:04.001854200Z'.
I want those query except to set the time myself.

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...