Splunk Search

change count in chart to actual value

lewis269
Explorer

Hey,

i have two fields that i want to report on.
basically data from a wireless lan controller where we have "bytes received" and "username"

at the moment i can select both these fields and then visualize and it will show the usernames along the x axis which is what i want but it won't show the values for bytes recieved...only the "count" of events which isn't really useful.

essentially what i want to do is....
IF a username has more than 1 event then add "bytes received" together for each event into one value for each username.
the "bytes received" will be the Y axis and the usernames will be the X axis.

any idea on how i would do this? it's looking like it would be quite a complicated search??? but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lewis269
Explorer

As @nolesrb5343 said...this was the solution to the problem.

source="Wireless_Gobblers_20150504_102111_716.csv" host="prime" index="prime-test" sourcetype="ios:prime-test" "Bytes Received" > 0 | chart sum("Bytes Received") OVER "Client Username"

using sum over the field. relatively simple.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lewis269
Explorer

As @nolesrb5343 said...this was the solution to the problem.

source="Wireless_Gobblers_20150504_102111_716.csv" host="prime" index="prime-test" sourcetype="ios:prime-test" "Bytes Received" > 0 | chart sum("Bytes Received") OVER "Client Username"

using sum over the field. relatively simple.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to use sum("bytes received") for splunk to add the values of those fields together. Have a look here.
If you have any struggle with that, post your search and we'll help you modify it!

0 Karma

lewis269
Explorer

source="Wireless_Gobblers_20150504_102111_716.csv" host="prime" index="prime-test" sourcetype="ios:prime-test" "Bytes Received" > 0

currently grabs all the events where the bytes received is more than 0 as we don't care about anything that doesn't send any data.
i can filter the sources to bytes received and username but then have a lot of trouble getting it into a readable graph where the bytes are on the Y axis and the usernames are on the X axis.

thanks

0 Karma

nolesrb5343
Explorer

Have you tried ... | chart sum("bytes received") OVER usernames

lewis269
Explorer

i understand the string...but where is "bytes" coming from? should that be "Bytes Received"??
sorry still wrapping my head around searching in Splunk

0 Karma

lewis269
Explorer

Oh should be...this.

that works actually.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...