Splunk Search

blacklist matching issues

lrhazi
Path Finder

The documentation says:

If you want Splunk to ignore entire directories beneath a monitor input refer to this example:

[monitor:///mnt/logs]
    blacklist = (archive|historical|\.bak$)
The above example tells Splunk to ignore all files under /mnt/logs/ within the archive directory, within historical directory and to ignore all files ending in *.bak.

The above would also exclude a folder named archives for example, right?
In my tests, I was trying to exclude sa from /var/log and it seemed to have also excluded /var/log/messages

How do I exclude folders: sa and puppet from monitoring /var/log

How does the matching actually work? matches the whole path of the files, include /mnt/logs, in the above example?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

blacklist = (/|\\)puppet|sa(/|\\)

Both front- and back- slashes are important to cover *nix and windows and they have to be on both ends or you will match things like .../sockpuppet/...,

0 Karma

lrhazi
Path Finder

Looks like adding a slash like so works:

blacklist = (puppet/|sa/)

though that is still not exactly: Exclude any folders named puppet or sa

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...