Splunk Search

automatic nested field extraction

mpatnode
Path Finder

I'm struggling with trying to extract multiple fields from a multivalue Active Directory attribute. For instance, given the following object:

dcName=w2k3r2.demo.dev
admonEventType=Update
Names:
    objectCategory=CN=Service-Connection-Point,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=demo,DC=dev
    distinguishedName=CN=bsmith,CN=Users,CN=default,CN=Zones,CN=Centrify,CN=Program Data,DC=demo,DC=dev
    objectGUID=cffb0829-0642-134c-2ef1-f03cc696e10b
    keywords=addr:253|animal:rabbit|color:blue
    showInAdvancedViewOnly=TRUE

I still want objectGUID and the other single value attributes parsed, but in this example, I also would like addr, animal and color parsed out as their own key-value pairs (also, I don't want to have to know the keynames apriori). Is there a preprocessing step where I can break the multi-value attributes into separate lines, or do I need to replace the ad-kv "(?<_KEY_1>[\w-]+)=(?<_VAL_1>[^\r\n]*)" tranform with some incredibly gnarly regex?

1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Put in props.conf:

[ActiveDirectory]
REPORT-MESSAGE = ad-kv,keywords-kv

This overrides the default extraction (which is just "ad-kv"), and listing "keywords-kv" on the same line after it ensures that it runs after the "ad-kv" has had a chance to extract the keywords field first.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Put in props.conf:

[ActiveDirectory]
REPORT-MESSAGE = ad-kv,keywords-kv

This overrides the default extraction (which is just "ad-kv"), and listing "keywords-kv" on the same line after it ensures that it runs after the "ad-kv" has had a chance to extract the keywords field first.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It doesn't matter whether the field is separately indexed or not. Please note that the ad-kv fields are also not extracted at index time, and are not any more "first-class" than the keyword fields. It simply appears that way because "diff" operates line-by-line against the full raw text, and the non-keyword fields happen to be on their own lines. What you really need is a field-by-field diff, which sadly Splunk does not come with.

0 Karma

mpatnode
Path Finder

Much better, but now can I do this before the event is stored so the fields look like first class fields in the event? In particular, I want to detect a change to one of the keyword fields, currently diff only shows me the keyword attribute changed.

0 Karma

mpatnode
Path Finder

This was trivial, once I found the right doc

In transforms.conf

[keywords-kv]
SOURCE = keywords
DELIMS = "|", ":"

Then in my search:

sourcetype="ActiveDirectory" keywords | extract keywords-kv

So now, I'd like to do this for all ActiveDirectory objects, and handle it both in keywords or description. It would be nice if I didn't need to add the "extract" pipes.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You don't. see my other answer.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you only want this in the "keywords" field or could the pipe delimited key:value pairs occur as values of other fields as well?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...