Splunk Search

appendcols and streamstats with alltime

dataisbeautiful
Path Finder

Hi all

I have a search that works for a range of a few days (eg earliest=-7d@d), but when running for alltime it breaks. I suspect this is an issue with appendcols or streamstats? Any pointers would be appreciated.

I'm using this to generate a lookup which I can then search instead of using an expensive alltime.

index=ndx sourcetype=src (device="PM4") earliest=0 latest=@d
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats max(value) as PM4Val by _time index
| appendcols 
[ search index=ndx sourcetype=src (device="PM2") earliest=0 latest=@d
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats max(value) as PM2Val by _time index
]
| streamstats current=f last(PM4Val) as LastPM4Val last(PM2Val) as LastPM2Val by index
| eval PM4ValDelta = PM4Val - LastPM4Val, PM2ValDelta = PM2Val - LastPM2Val
| table _time, index, PM4Val, PM4ValDelta, PM2Val, PM2ValDelta
| sort index -_time

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Subsearches are usually limited to 50k events so an alltime subsearch it likely to have been (silently) terminated. Given that your index and source type are the same, try removing the subsearch

index=ndx sourcetype=src (device="PM4" OR device="PM2") earliest=0 latest=@d
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats max(eval(if(device="PM4",value,null()))) as PM4Val max(eval(if(device="PM2",value,null()))) as PM2Val by _time index

View solution in original post

dataisbeautiful
Path Finder

Doing an EVAL in STATS has made by day @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Subsearches are usually limited to 50k events so an alltime subsearch it likely to have been (silently) terminated. Given that your index and source type are the same, try removing the subsearch

index=ndx sourcetype=src (device="PM4" OR device="PM2") earliest=0 latest=@d
| bucket _time span=1d
| stats max(eval(if(device="PM4",value,null()))) as PM4Val max(eval(if(device="PM2",value,null()))) as PM2Val by _time index

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

50k is the limit on subsearch when used with join command. The "normal" subsearch limit is much lower - it's 10k results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Customer Experience | Splunk 2024: New Onboarding Resources

In 2023, we were routinely reminded that the digital world is ever-evolving and susceptible to new ...

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...