Splunk Search

Wrong values in the field within data model

fedejko
Explorer

Hi,

I'm searching through the Registry data model and I noticed that in the field "user" I've got process names. How to fix it?

As far as I know, after fixing it - so in the "user" field there is actually a user name, I will need to rebuild the whole data model, right?

Will I need to take some extra steps if this data model is accelerated?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Motivator

Are you referring to the Registry data set in the Endpoint data model?

If your data is incorrect, you have field aliases, calculated fields, or field extractions on tag=endpoint tag=registry events that produce incorrect results. This could include automatic extractions on raw event text like "user=foo.exe."

Start by determining which field-value pairs identify tag=registry. You can use Settings > Tags > List by tag name in the UI or run 'splunk cmd btool tags list --debug' on your instance. From there, review and correct knowledge objects for the related events.

You can rebuild the data model or leave old, incorrect data in place while new events populate the data model correctly going forward, depending on your requirements.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Last Chance to Submit Your Paper For BSides Splunk - Deadline is August 12th!

Hello everyone! Don't wait to submit - The deadline is August 12th! We have truly missed the community so ...

Ready, Set, SOAR: How Utility Apps Can Up Level Your Playbooks!

 WATCH NOW Powering your capabilities has never been so easy with ready-made Splunk® SOAR Utility Apps. Parse ...

DevSecOps: Why You Should Care and How To Get Started

 WATCH NOW In this Tech Talk we will talk about what people mean by DevSecOps and deep dive into the different ...