Splunk Search

Why would a basic substring search fail?

manus
Communicator

These two searches don't return the same thing, and I think they should. The first one returns nothing, the second one returns some events.

Search1:

index=abc toto3

Search2:

index=abc _raw=*toto3*

In other words, clearly I have some events which contain toto3. Search2 proves it, but they are not returned by search1 when I would expect them to be. Does anybody know how this can be possible?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

A search like this:

index=abc toto3 

does not perform a substring search. It performs a search for a word (technically a segment) that is equal to "toto3", as in toto3 is in my event. To perform a substring search in Splunk, you use the wildcards like your second search or like what @sanjay.shrestha posted:

index=abc *toto3*

This finds toto3 when it is inside a segment but does not make up the complete segment, like toto3isin my event.

So the answer to your question is that the substring search is not failing. index=abc toto3 is not a substring search, but index=abc *toto3* is.

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

Can you try:

index=abc "toto3"
0 Karma

manus
Communicator

yes that's returns some events too. Like Search 2 does.

0 Karma

manus
Communicator

That doesn't return anything, like search 1.

0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

I think toto3 is not a complete word. So you can try

index=abc "*toto3*"
0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

When toto3 was used; splunk looks for single word toto3.

0 Karma

manus
Communicator

yes it looks like it does that, indeed, but it's not supposed to that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...