Splunk Search

Why isn't my where clause working in this similar search?

pranaynanda
Path Finder

I want to run a search but can't figure out what's the difference when I make changes to it using the 'where' clause

What's the difference between

...base search extension!=NULL|where Module="previewservice" | chart count by  Module, FinalState

and

...base search |where Module="previewservice" AND extension!=NULL| chart count by  Module, FinalState

The first one produces an output while the second one does not 😕

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

RPiccone
Explorer

Your first search string is the more efficient of the two, as it's best to exclude as early as possible. However, to make the second example work, replace
And extension!=NULL
with
isnotnull(extension)

This is because where uses eval expressions, one of which is the function isnotnull. In your second example extension!=NULL is actually interpreted as <fieldA> is not equal to <fieldB> (where <fieldB> is a non-existent field called NULL).
For reference, see the documentation on Informational Functions (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.1/SearchReference/InformationalFunctions)

View solution in original post

RPiccone
Explorer

Your first search string is the more efficient of the two, as it's best to exclude as early as possible. However, to make the second example work, replace
And extension!=NULL
with
isnotnull(extension)

This is because where uses eval expressions, one of which is the function isnotnull. In your second example extension!=NULL is actually interpreted as <fieldA> is not equal to <fieldB> (where <fieldB> is a non-existent field called NULL).
For reference, see the documentation on Informational Functions (http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.1/SearchReference/InformationalFunctions)

pranaynanda
Path Finder

Salut! You Sir are a true genius!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...