Splunk Search

Why isn't my dynamic lookup returning a value?

erickyi
Path Finder

I have been staring at this problem for eons but I'm stuck.
I have two dynamic lookups.

1. volumeCheck (external lookup), fields defined=ip, volumes, vrank Result; volumeCheck always return vrank=UNK . I expect vrank to be GREEN or AMBER
  2. top10InboundPortProtocol (external lookup), fields defined=port,protocol,rank Result: returns GREEN, AMBER or RED (works)

I checked the logs and I can see that volumeCheck is returning on the stdout RED or GREEN but on splunk search, it is showing vrank=UNK. I can't see any exception or error in splunkd.log
FYI, i set in the dynamic lookup, minimum matches=1, Default matches to UNK

I have done many dynamic lookups but this one stumped me.

FYI my splunk search:

index="flowintegrator" src_port=21 |eval thisUser=src_ip + "_"+ dest_ip | bucket _time span=1d | eval diff= floor((now() - _time)/86400) |eval diff="row"+diff | chart avg(bytes) over thisUser by diff|eval row1=if(isnull(row1), 0, floor(row1))| eval row2=if(isnull(row2), 0, floor(row2))|eval row3=if(isnull(row3), 0, floor(row3))|eval row4=if(isnull(row4), 0, floor(row4))|eval row5=if(isnull(row5), 0, floor(row5))|eval row6=if(isnull(row6), 0, floor(row6))|eval volumes=row1+";"+row2+";"+row3+";"+row4+";"+row5+";"+row6|**lookup volumeCheck ip as thisUser, volumes OUTPUT vrank**

Help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

erickyi
Path Finder

i found the problem. My mistake.

Details
splunk matches the fields from the dynamic lookup.

if the fields to the dynamic lookup is 127.0.0.1_127.0.0.2, \"1;2;3;4;5;6\"
the dynamic lookup must return these two fields.
127.0.0.1_127.0.0.2, \"1;2;3;4;5;6\", RED

Previously, I was returning 127.0.0.1_127.0.0.2, 3, RED // i.e. column 2 does not match the input fields.

hope this helps anyone who is doing dynamic lookup

View solution in original post

0 Karma

erickyi
Path Finder

i found the problem. My mistake.

Details
splunk matches the fields from the dynamic lookup.

if the fields to the dynamic lookup is 127.0.0.1_127.0.0.2, \"1;2;3;4;5;6\"
the dynamic lookup must return these two fields.
127.0.0.1_127.0.0.2, \"1;2;3;4;5;6\", RED

Previously, I was returning 127.0.0.1_127.0.0.2, 3, RED // i.e. column 2 does not match the input fields.

hope this helps anyone who is doing dynamic lookup

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@erickyi - Thanks for posting your solution for others to benefit from. Please accept your answer so that the problem will show as closed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...