Splunk Search

Why is there a space added to my field extracted with rex?

dkeck
Influencer

Hi

I have the following rex to test a new field extraction:

|rex "(?s)<Sql_Text>(((?<a_action>.*)))</Sql_Text>" 

This will give me SQLText without the comments. It's working fine.

The Problem is, when I compared the new(a_action) and the old field(action) this :

| eval diff=if(a_action=action,0,1) | eval nospace=substr(a_action , 57,58)| where diff=1 | table action a_action nospace | eval x=length(action) | eval y=length(a_action) | eval z=length(nospace) 

tells me, that the a_action is 1 character longer than action field. I figured that there is a space on the end of the string of the a_action field. I can't tell why, is there something wrong in my regex?

Kind regards

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

I can´t share the logs sry.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Before executing rex command can you try the following:

eval Sql_Text=trim(Sql_Text) |

dkeck
Influencer

Ok it appeared that the space came from something totally different than the field extraction.

Thanks for the time.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

So here is a sample of the Table I created with the query :

field names: action  : a_action :nospace : x : y : z
vlaues: begin dbms_application_info.set_module(:1 , :2 ); end;  begin dbms_application_info.set_module(:1 , :2 ); end;  d;  56  57  3  

There you can see that "z" only has 2 charakters in it plus the "invisible" space

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

I tried trim, doen´t make a difference.

Thank for the answers.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

No difference without (?s).

Why should the source of this be the SQL Server itself? the old field "action" doens´t have a space, its added during the extration.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Since you have not provided sample log or log example, I was just guessing based on SQL_txt field that the data is coming from SQL Server. Nevertheless, the reason why I asked to check (?s) was because:
1) You have already verified that there is no space in original field, by testing trim.
2) Sometimes non special characters like Line Feed(\r) and New Lines(\n) are displayed as space. The (?s) specified tells rex command to extract from only single line and you have used .* as the extractor. Which fetches until newline character is found unless mode is single line or (?s).

Now that you have mentioned that even this does not help, may imply that you do not have new line character in the end of data. Just try .+ instead of .* once and see.

If this does not help you will have to give some mock data or anonymized data if it is confidential, or reach out to Splunk support directly.

niketn
Legend

Can you perform the following on action field as well?

eval finalCharacter=substr(action , 57,58)

Also see if rex can be changed to the following:

"\<Sql_Text\>(?<a_action>.*)\<\/Sql_Text\>"

niketn
Legend

Have you tried to run rex command with and without (?s)?

If possible check directly in SQL Server DB whether the extracted value SQL_Text in the table/column has new line CHAR(13) and/or linefeed CHAR(10) characters or not.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

could you share an example of your log?
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...