Splunk Search

Why is there a discrepancy when grouping by a variable vs searching?

psangli
Explorer

I want to see how many times a user has accessed a database in a given time period. I used

sourcetype= h1 | stats count by database, user | sort -count|stats list(count), values(database) by user

However, after running a search for specific users, the numbers that come up from the above line, do not match up with the number of search results I find by searching for specific users. Is there a reason for the discrepancy ?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

A) I don't see anything obvious - you probably (?) don't have over 10K users / databases combinations, but there is a default maximum number of records returned from sort, so you should get in the habit of using sort 0 instead of plainsort.

B) Also, when trying to compare two versions, always snap to the beginning and end of a time period, so you have a fixed set of results between the two to compare on.

C) Always rename count, because occasionally it will bite you when a later stats-type command or timechart gets confused.

Try this and compare to see if it fixes your issue....

earliest=-1d@d latest=@d sourcetype= h1 
| stats count as countbydb by database, user    
| sort 0 - countbydb
| stats sum(countbydb) as theTotalCount, list(countbydb) as theCounts, values(database) as theDBs by user
| where user=="myselecteduser"

earliest=-1d@d latest=@d sourcetype= h1 user="myselecteduser"
| stats count as theTotalCount, values(database) as theDBs by user

If not, then consider something like this

| eval DBandCount  = database." - ".countbydb  
| stats sum(countbydb) as theTotalCount, values(DBandCount) as theDBs by user

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

A) I don't see anything obvious - you probably (?) don't have over 10K users / databases combinations, but there is a default maximum number of records returned from sort, so you should get in the habit of using sort 0 instead of plainsort.

B) Also, when trying to compare two versions, always snap to the beginning and end of a time period, so you have a fixed set of results between the two to compare on.

C) Always rename count, because occasionally it will bite you when a later stats-type command or timechart gets confused.

Try this and compare to see if it fixes your issue....

| sort 0 - countbydb
| stats sum(countbydb) as theTotalCount, list(countbydb) as theCounts, values(database) as theDBs by user
| where user=="myselecteduser"

earliest=-1d@d latest=@d sourcetype= h1 user="myselecteduser"
| stats count as theTotalCount, values(database) as theDBs by user

If not, then consider something like this

| eval DBandCount  = database." - ".countbydb  
| stats sum(countbydb) as theTotalCount, values(DBandCount) as theDBs by user
0 Karma

psangli
Explorer

I believe the
sort -count
part is wrong. It sorts the number of databases, but does not move the name along with it. The names stay in the same order. How would I go about fixing that?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Instead of values(database) use list(database) to retain the record order.

psangli
Explorer

That works! Thanks!

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Use the by clause with sort.

0 Karma

psangli
Explorer
sourcetype="h1" | stats count as countbydb by database, user |sort by countbydb |stats list(countbydb), values(database) by user 

is what I am using. It does not affect the user column. I tried placing the sort by countbydb at the end, but that does not work either.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Please give an example of the other search (with the username obfuscated)

0 Karma

psangli
Explorer

sourcetype="h1" user = "user1" database = bdp

In the search, bdp appears 10 times. But in the table, it only appears once.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

In the table, it should appear only once, with a count of 10.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...