Splunk Search

Why is the date format changing in the pdf from YYYY-MM to YYYY (splunk v6.5.0) in scheduled PDF?

HattrickNZ
Motivator

I have a number of tables in a Splunk report that looks like this:

_time   Count
1   2018-01 3815

But when I want to schedule the report I send a Test Email (Export - Schedule PDF Delivery - Send Test Email)
The email comes through alright but the date format is changed to YYYY.(i.e. the month is lost e.g. changed from 2018-01 to 2018)

_time   Count
1   2018    3815

*Is there something I can do to fix this so the date remains 2018-01? *

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

felipesewaybric
Contributor

I have the same problem, I resolve by forcing my timestamp in the query with:

| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y"

or

strptime/strftime with eval.

View solution in original post

felipesewaybric
Contributor

I have the same problem, I resolve by forcing my timestamp in the query with:

| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y"

or

strptime/strftime with eval.

HattrickNZ
Motivator

I tried ... | eval _time = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m") at the end of my search even though its in the YYYY-MM format already in the dashboard.

But when I email the pdf, in the pdf the table disapperas and I get
year=1 is before 1900; the datetime strftime() methods require year >= 1900

I am not sure what this means?

my time range is a bit different but this just gives me the 31 day values of january which I then timechart span=mon sum(Count) to get the monthly value

<earliest>-1mon@mon</earliest>
  <latest>@mon+1d</latest>
0 Karma

HattrickNZ
Motivator

also how do i try | convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y"

0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

sry, the command was not completed, you will need:

| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y" ctime(_time) as _time

but i think will not gonna work.

sometimes you will need to create a new variable to use instead of _time

try
| eval date = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m")

to show correctly, you can use:

| sort _time
| table date Count

HattrickNZ
Motivator

tks

1/
| convert timeformat="%m/%d/%Y" ctime(_time) as _time did not work
You get this year=1 is before 1900; the datetime strftime() methods require year >= 1900 instead of the table. Which I dont understand. I guess that is just the way splunk is regarding pdf scheduling.

and

2/
| eval date = strftime(_time,"%Y-%m") | sort _time | table date Count did work.
Basically the _time column is not liked in the tables in your dashboard when you try and pdf schedule it. So you basically have to remove the _time column and call it something else.

note: I thought you could just rename _time as date but this will convert the date into a number, so you will then have to reformat this, which is just another way of doing the same as 2 above.

0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

nice, i'm glad it works.

The _time real value is aways something like 1526324562.234, so somethime you will need to create a new variable.

In my country the date default is dd/mm/YYYY, so i aways need to re-adjust the _time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...