Splunk Search

Why is KV_MODE=xml not working in my distributed environment?

HansWurscht
Path Finder

Hi,

i'm using a distributed splunk setup (search head with several indexers) with version 6.1.3. I'm having problems with automatic field extractions from xml data.

Linebreaking is configured and working correctly. Extracting fields using spath is also working.

My props.conf on the indexers:

[mysourcetype]
KV_MODE=xml
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=<record>
NO_BINARY_CHECK=1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true

props.conf on the searchhead:

[mysourcetype]
KV_MODE=xml

Example of the xml data:

<record>
<date>Fri Sep 05 08:02:32 CEST 2014</date>
<a>b</a>
<b>c</b>
</record>
<record>
<date>Fri Sep 05 08:02:33 CEST 2014</date>
<a>d</a>
<b>e</b>
</record>

On a standalone test system, the automatic extraction with KV_MODE=xml is working fine.

Any ideas why this isn't working in my distributed environment?

Thanks!

seilemor
Engager

Is there an answer for this problem!? I've also have the same issue after move from my standalone system to a cluster (1y searchhead, 1x master, 3x peernodes).

0 Karma

bravon
Communicator

Same problem here - the permissions are set to Global for the app-permissions. My data is from Applocker Wineventlog imported using renderxml=true

0 Karma

bravon
Communicator

My guess is that the application containing the props.conf needs different permissions (App-permissions -> Global)

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

If Splunk looks at your data and thinks it is not entirely XML, it will not obey the KV_MODE=xml.
You did put the spec in the right place.

Perhaps the subset of data that you are using for test is better XML than the real production data.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...