Splunk Search

Why is INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv not working in props.conf?

ebailey
Communicator

I have a distributed Splunk instance with the search head separated from the Indexers. I want to drop a CSV file with headers into Splunk and have it extract and match the fields up with the data and create extracted fields. I used the add data wizard to create a props and then deployed the props to the indexer and the search and then restarted both. I created an inputs for the file and then dropped the file to the the right path. I did add a max_lookahead to control which data is used by Splunk as index time.

I can see the data in Splunk, but nothing is being extracted. No interesting fields.

props.conf:

[test_alerts]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 36
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
KV_MODE=none
disabled=false
pulldown_type=true

Data sample:

CurrentDate,ApplicationRef,RootApplicationID,credittxStatus,RootStatus,Propert,Customer,Created
"2015-10-13 12:00:00.000000000","2782376730","2234329","Pending","Pending","test-ny","Property Management","09/01/2015 11:48:56"
"2015-10-13 12:05:00.000000000","1461751231","2234336","Pending","Pending","test-ny","Property Management","09/01/2015 11:51:20"

Any ideas?

1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Where is the inputs.conf for the CSV file you're ingesting, in a forwarder OR from Search Head?

View solution in original post

boromir
Path Finder

Had the same issue with distributed architecture UF/HF/indexers/SH on different machines. Tested with props.conf on all of the machines in order to extract the fields from a CSV source with no header line. Didn't work until we tried the proposed here..... props.conf with CSV configuration on the UF alone. It worked like a charm.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Where is the inputs.conf for the CSV file you're ingesting, in a forwarder OR from Search Head?

chengka
Explorer

Reviving this thread. I have exactly the same issue as OP. I upgraded the UF to v631 and added a stanza to props.conf, however the events are still not showing any fields. Now I have this same information in the props.conf of the indexer(v630) and the UF(v631). Am I missing something?

[ connections_mq]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=csv
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
CHARSET=UTF-8
KV_MODE=none
category=Structured
description=MQ Connections
disabled=false
pulldown_type=true
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER=3
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=1

0 Karma

chengka
Explorer

Ok, my bad. I had a space between the [ and the sourcetype! It works via the UF once I removed the space.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

My thought exactly, it's counterintuitive but indexed_extractions=csv needs to be on forwarders even UF's.

0 Karma

ebailey
Communicator

I am doing some testing - i think you are right. The props needs to be on the UF too. Thanks

0 Karma

ebailey
Communicator

That is it - putting the props.conf on the UF solved the problem. When to put the props on the UF is a little confusing. @somesoni2 - if you can answer the question I will award you points. Thanks!

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

Very rarely do you put a props on a UF. This however is a case where you do.

It would be nice to see the docs.splunk pages for props updated with information regarding what can be used on a forwarder. Had a colleague ask me this exact question yesterday and it doesn't help when official documentation isn't clear on this.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...