Splunk Search

Why does the map command return no results?

bojanisch
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

I have a use case where I need to iterate over multiple query strings and execute each of them, so I though of using the map command and passing the search query as a token to the map search like this
| makeresults count=1| eval query = "| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\"" | map search="$query$" maxsearches=1

This search won't return any results. However if I put the search string directly in the mapping command I get the expected results

| makeresults count=1| eval query = "" | map search="| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\"" maxsearches=1

I thought that field values can be passed in mapping commands replacing their respective token. Although this is happening, the map command does not seem to execute the string as a query.

Does someone has an explanation for this behavior and maybe even a solution?

0 Karma

bojanisch
Path Finder

Okay after some more research I found out that Splunk isn't parsing the token as a query, but as a string.

03-07-2018 21:49:45.182 INFO SearchParser - PARSING: search "| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\""

After passing the string through a macro, everything works as expected

| makeresults count=1| eval query = "| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\"" | map search="`getSearchAsString($query$)`" maxsearches=1

where the macro is defined as

[getSearchAsString(1)]
args = search
definition = $search$
iseval = 0

valiquet
Contributor

I think because you had quotes in query variable, you could have trimmed them

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...