Splunk Search

Why does my drop-down say "Duplicate values causing conflict" when there are no duplicate values?

SJanasek
Path Finder

I am trying to output the CUSTOMER_NAME via a csv lookup. my lookup file (lookup_test.csv) looks like that:

CUSTOMER_ID,CUSTOMER_NAME
39076,Customer1
56706,Customer2
20294,Customer3

my drop-down includes the following search string:

index="index1" sourcetype="source1" | lookup kunde_test  CUSTOMER_ID OUTPUT CUSTOMER_NAME | top 10 CUSTOMER_NAME

it now shows the following message: "Duplicate values causing conflict"

but there are not any duplicate values? what could be the problem here?

Sukisen1981
Champion

if you need just the customer_name in the drop down, why not use something like this?

index="index1" sourcetype="source1" | lookup kunde_test  CUSTOMER_ID OUTPUT CUSTOMER_NAME | top 10 CUSTOMER_NAME dedup CUSTOMER_NAME | table CUSTOMER_NAME
0 Karma

MichaelMcAleer
Path Finder

I wanted to add in alternative answer to this solution, the whole time I have been adding the drill down filters using source XML instead of the UI, from the source XML and query run everything looked fine there were no duplicates so I was lead to searching online for answers. The "Field for Label" or "Field for Value" were fine, no different from the examples shown in the dashboard examples app, but when I looked at the filter in UI mode I noticed that there were two 'ALL = ' key/value pairs listed whereas there wasn't in the source XML. Removed the second 'All=' option and cleared the 'duplicate values causing conflict error'

0 Karma

claudio_manig
Communicator

This is often caused by using the wrong values in "Field for Label" or "Field for Value" - in my case i used the splunk field name there and not the original one out of the lookup

0 Karma

dbray_sd
Path Finder

Could you explain a little further? Maybe some examples? I think this is the exact problem I'm having, but not really understanding what Splunk wants for this simple dropdown.

0 Karma

claudio_manig
Communicator

Its kind of shaky if you ask me as i often experienced this problem - try to check you field for value and field for label entries and check wheter they are set correct.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

You're missing the initial <input> tag, but otherwise it looks OK. Are you sure there are no duplicate values for CUSTOMER_NAME in kunde_test ? run

| inputlookup kunde_test | stats count by CUSTOMER_NAME | where count > 1 

to be sure

0 Karma

SJanasek
Path Finder

just forgot to copy it
input type="dropdown" token="kunde" searchWhenChanged="true"

and no, there aren't duplicate values, tested it

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Hopefully someone else can help - the only other thing I can think is that you may have another token called kunde on the same dashboard

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Can you post the xml of your dropdown?

0 Karma

SJanasek
Path Finder
  <label>Kunde</label>
  <search>
    <query>index="index1" sourcetype="source1" | lookup kunde_test CUSTOMER_ID OUTPUT CUSTOMER_NAME | top 10 CUSTOMER_NAME</query>
    <earliest>0</earliest>
    <latest></latest>
  </search>
  <fieldForLabel>CUSTOMER_NAME</fieldForLabel>
  <fieldForValue>CUSTOMER_NAME</fieldForValue>
</input>
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

Are you sure that no customers have the exact same name? I see that warning sometimes when I use name because two people will end up having a very common name. I changed the query, in my case, to either limit the names I cared about if it was bringing back people I didn't need, or I used the ID for the value, and I think that solved it.

SJanasek
Path Finder

Yes, I am sure, they are not even similar at all.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

Then the only other thing I could think of could be that the percentages in the top command are coming back the same. try adding a |fields CUSTOMER_NAME to the end of the query.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...