Splunk Search

Why does Splunk change date format from 2022-12-04 to 2022/12/04 when exporting to .csv?

CDel
Explorer

Hi All, 

I am unsure if this question has been answered already - I couldn't see it. 

I have a time field in Splunk that I have created using: 

| eval TimeStamp = strftime(_time, "%Y-%m-%d") 

In Splunk the format is correct, the problem I am having is when the search is exported to .csv the date format changes to "2022/12/04" from " 2022-12-04" when I need it to stay as the dashed version. The same thing happens when it runs via Splunk scheduler to create a .csv file. 

Any ideas on why or how to stop this? 

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated! 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are you exporting this? I just tried and it downloads to CSV as 2022-12-13.

I used the export button from the search results page

CDel
Explorer

@bowesmana  I’m using the export button as well, it does it wrong when the csv is created through a scheduled report too. 

I did try with a different character, so exporting it as ‘2022.12.04’ and that worked fine, it seems to be specifically the dashes my Splunk has a problem with? 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How are you reading the exported CSV?  Could it be a locale setting in that utility?

CDel
Explorer

I have been viewing the CSV in Excel - so I am thinking it is actually not a Splunk issue at all and an Excel one!

The data looks fine in Notepad. Off to post on Mr Excel next then I reckon. 😒

Thank you all for your help regardless - much appreciated. 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's strange - I wonder if it's a locale issue. There are a number of community posts recommending what you are doing.

What version of Splunk?

0 Karma

CDel
Explorer

It’s version 8.1.5 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...