Splunk Search

Why do I have to use eval for this search?

adamfrisbee
Explorer

Hi everyone, 

Why does this search return nothing

| stats count(status=200) AS Success

While this search returns what I expect?

| stats count(eval(status=200)) AS success

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats count(eval(status=200))

does NOT create a new field nor does it assign a value to a field.  It merely examines the existing 'status' field in the event and returns 1 (true) if that value is 200 or 0 (zero) (false) if it is something else.  The count function then tabulates the eval results.

Note: stats count(eval(status=200)) may yield unexpected results when status<>200.  Compare it to stats sum(eval(status=200))

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

anilchaithu
Builder

@adamfrisbee 

In the first SPL there is no field named "status=200". So it fails.

| stats count(status=200) AS Success

The second one has eval nested in, which is equivalent to create a new filed with status=200. So now the stats count the new field.

| stats count(eval(status=200)) AS success

Hope this helps

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| stats count(eval(status=200))

does NOT create a new field nor does it assign a value to a field.  It merely examines the existing 'status' field in the event and returns 1 (true) if that value is 200 or 0 (zero) (false) if it is something else.  The count function then tabulates the eval results.

Note: stats count(eval(status=200)) may yield unexpected results when status<>200.  Compare it to stats sum(eval(status=200))

---
0 Karma

adamfrisbee
Explorer

I thought `eval` always created a new field? 

Why does it not in this case?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I guess you could say eval works differently within the stats command.  Run this query to see for yourself.

| makeresults | eval status=404 
| stats count(eval(status=200)) as count, values(status) as status 
| table count status

You should get "0  404" as the result, showing the eval function had no effect on the status field.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The eval function says the argument to count is an expression rather than a field.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...