Splunk Search

Why cant I see some data that I was able to see before 1 month? Even if retention policy of index is 3 years

muez
Explorer

Notes
- Our retention policy is 3 years for that abc index.
- When I exported the result of that query before 1 month, I was able to see that particular data
- Today when I run exact same query, I can see some missing data.
- To give you the detail, today I am seeing approx 20K less events out of 1L events.
- The date range is exact same

0 Karma

darrenfuller
Contributor

On your indexing layer, run the following from the command line:

splunk btool indexes list <INDEXNAME> --debug

Replacing with the name of the index that you are seeing issues with. There are a few properties to take note of:

1) coldPath.maxDataSizeMB -- The total size in MB of the Cold path for data. If this size is exceeded, data will roll to frozen (and if there is no Cold-To-Frozen archiving strategy in place, will be deleted)
2) frozenTimePeriodInSecs -- The number of seconds before data is frozen
3) maxTotalDataSizeMB -- The maximum total size across all hot/warm/cold data locations

See if any of these are lower than you expect.

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
Champion

Check if data is deleted because of retention or max size in last 1 month.

index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd INDEX_NAME component=BucketMover frozenTimePeriodInSecs OR maxTotalDataSizeMB
0 Karma

muizash
Path Finder

@manjunathmeti The above query is not running, and also data data cant be deleted because retention is 3 years and time stamp of data was in january 2020 only

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...