Splunk Search

Why can't results can be shown when calculating the difference between two columns from two searches?

asdusert
Engager

Here is my query :

index="basicdataapi" source="/data/api-process/logs/equitydata-rawdata-producer/application.log" 
service_name="equitydata-rawdata-producer"
 host="daasynprdbd6012" CountFlag="true" PackageDataType |stats count by PackageDataType | append[search  
 index=datasvc source="us-east-1:/aws/lambda/ged-equitydata-rawdata-consumer*" 
 service_name="equitydata-rawdata-consumer" CountFlag="true" 
 PackageDataType |stats count by PackageDataType ]|**table DataPackageType num |streamstats max(num) as max min(num) as min by PackageDataType | eval diff=max-min | dedup DataPackageType | table DataPackageType max min diff.

When I run the above query which have been marked as "Strong" font, I can get a result like this:
PackageDataType num
CO 319
SO 420
CO 319
SO 420

But I want to count the difference between same "PackageDataType", like below format:
PackageDataType max min diff
CO 319 319 0
SO 420 420 0

So I added "streamstats.." to count it . But after I added it , no result can be shown. Is there anything wrong ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

@asdusert,

From your search, there are possibly two things you might need to change to get the desired result

1. In your original search you are using field name PackageDataType but in the table command next to it, you are using DataPackageType which are different field names for splunk and that's the reason you are not getting the result.
  2. streamstats gives you streaming max or min. ie.when the streamstats look at the first event, it only knows CO 319 and hence it would result 319 as max and min for CO even though the second CO has a different count say 219. You may test it by running

index=_*|stats count by sourcetype ,index|fields - sourcetype|streamstats max(count) as max,min(count) as min by index

So try stats or eventstats for the final calculation.

index="basicdataapi" source="/data/api-process/logs/equitydata-rawdata-producer/application.log" 
host="daasynprdbd6012" CountFlag="true" PackageDataType |stats count by PackageDataType 
| append[search index=datasvc source="us-east-1:/aws/lambda/ged-equitydata-rawdata-consumer*" 
|stats count by PackageDataType ]
|stats max(num) as max min(num) as min by PackageDataType | eval diff=max-min

To your original search, just add

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
Legend

@asdusert,

From your search, there are possibly two things you might need to change to get the desired result

1. In your original search you are using field name PackageDataType but in the table command next to it, you are using DataPackageType which are different field names for splunk and that's the reason you are not getting the result.
  2. streamstats gives you streaming max or min. ie.when the streamstats look at the first event, it only knows CO 319 and hence it would result 319 as max and min for CO even though the second CO has a different count say 219. You may test it by running

index=_*|stats count by sourcetype ,index|fields - sourcetype|streamstats max(count) as max,min(count) as min by index

So try stats or eventstats for the final calculation.

host="daasynprdbd6012" CountFlag="true" PackageDataType |stats count by PackageDataType 
| append[search index=datasvc source="us-east-1:/aws/lambda/ged-equitydata-rawdata-consumer*" 
|stats count by PackageDataType ]

To your original search, just add

Happy Splunking!

asdusert
Engager

@renjith.nair Thanks so much . it works.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@asdusert, glad that it worked. Kindly accept it as answer to close this thread. Thanks

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...