Splunk Search

Why are there issues with delta query by multiple hostnames?

thaghost99
Path Finder

index=testlab sourcetype=testcsv

| rex field="status detail" "(?<message_received_name>Messages Received)\\s*[0-9,]*\s*[0-9,]*\s*(?<message_received>[0-9,]*)"
| rex field=message_received mode=sed "s/,//g"
| eval myInt = tonumber(message_received)
| reverse
| delta myInt as message_received_delta
| timechart span=10m sum(message_received_delta) by Hostname

the problem i find is that when i am doing only 1 hostname at a time. it works just fine. (note the data is incremental counters only). but when i introduce additional hostnames, i see some hostnames would show a negative value. it should only show positive numbers (0 to inifinity)

again when i do single host, it works just fine. 🙂 really need help on this one.

thaghost99_0-1646850239987.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@thaghost99 

Unfortunately delta works simply on the message stream and does not support any 'by FIELD' construct.

You need to use streamstats for that - note that when splitting by fields in streamstats you need to use the global=f flag.

Take a look at the reply to your other message which shows you the streamstats construct that should work.

Kudos for experimenting! Good to learn.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...