Splunk Search

Why am I getting blank rows extracting a multi line XML file with xmlkv and regex?

andyhine

I am trying to extract a multi line XML file with many
<title>blah</title> elements.

Using
sourcetype="schedule" | rex field=_raw "\<title\>(?<title>.*?)\</title\>" | table title
or
sourcetype="schedule" | xmlkv title | table title

I get many blank rows. The data does not have any elements.

Using | fields title instead of | table title does not give any empty data as far as I can tell.

Thanks

0 Karma

andyhine

Thanks that didn't seem to make any difference to my blank rows.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just try this

sourcetype="schedule" | xmlkv | table title

OR 

sourcetype="schedule"|  rex field=_raw "\<title\>(?<title>(.*(\n)*)*)\</title\>" | table title
0 Karma

sk314
Builder

It could be that there are events without the xml entries. You could try piping this to remove null values.

|search title!=NULL | table title

0 Karma

andyhine

Thanks

Trying

sourcetype="schedule" | xmlkv | table title

and

sourcetype="schedule"| rex field=_raw "\<title\>(?<title>(.*(\n)*)*)\</title\>" | table title

I get a blank table of results but clicking to sort by title get other results.

How can I filter out all these blank rows (and where are they coming from!?)

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Instead of rex, you could add the following entry to your props.conf file under "schedule" sourcetype:
kv_mode = xml

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...