Splunk Search

Why I am getting avg() alway empty?

Kazi1
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I am unable to calculate average of the given values. However, I am getting values corresponding to min() and max(). Just to give you a bit of context, I am trying to extract response time from logs and based on that I want to create a chart (probably bar- chat) presenting min, max and avg response time for successful requests.

Here are few of my queries which I tried:

First approach

index=nonprod source=/some/microservices/alpha-* 
| spath level 
| search level=info 
| search message!="Exception has occurred." 
| regex message="([a-z0-9[\:\/\-.?=%]+)abc/submission] resolved in \[([0-9ms\s\]]+)"
| rex "resolved in \[(?<resptime>.*? )" 
| stats min(resptime) as Mintime max(resptime) as MaxTme avg(resptime) as AvgTime

Response => Mintime : 12237 MaxTme : 28338  AvgTime:  

Then second approach ( I thought may be <resptime> is a string type and hence avg() is unable to calculate average.  So, tried to convert string to number before calculating applying stats

index=nonprod source=/some/microservices/alpha-* 
                | spath level 
                | search level=info 
                | search message!="Exception has occurred." 
                | regex message="([a-z0-9[\:\/\-.?=%]+)abc/submission] resolved in \[([0-9ms\s\]]+)"
                | rex "resolved in \[(?<resptime>.*? )" 
                | eval responseTime = tonumber(resptime)
                | stats min(responseTime) as Mintime max(responseTime) as MaxTme avg(responseTime) as AvgTime

This approach didn't work at all. 

FYI - following are the values I am getting from <resptime> when I use  " | table resptime" right after rex statement. 

Also, I have also figured it out that eval also doesn't work I tried printing eval statement as table it showed 12 empty rows. Moreover, I also tried eval with if ()  
"eval responseTime = if(isNum(resptime),"True",tonumber(resptime)) | table responseTime". No luck.

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated. 

Thanks

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults
| eval test="1234 "
| eval result=tonumber(test)

This query doesn't display result. 
your rex capture with space. so that is why your query can't work.

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults
| eval test="1234 "
| eval result=tonumber(test)

This query doesn't display result. 
your rex capture with space. so that is why your query can't work.

Kazi1
Explorer

Hi @to4kawa,

It seems like you're right on point. Till this point I didn't look into it but I can see for sure there is a space right after number.  The following piece worked for me after removing space. Learned something new!

| eval nospace=trim(resptime) | stats avg(nospace) ... 

Thanks bunch mate!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

can you give a sample to us? 
When you run this with verbose mode, can you check which character is before that field on interesting fields? Is it an “a” => character or a # => number.?

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Kazi1
Explorer

Hi @isoutamo ,
I am getting # before field "resptime" under intersting fields. Also, under the sub-window which gets open after you click on that particular field I am getting all the results along with : 

• Avg: 18346.072727272727
  • Min: 10690
  • Max: 30474
  • Std Dev: 6422.345452069976

Though, I am not sure how can I access these fields. 

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...