Splunk Search

Which indexer should I send data to?

jmrubio
Explorer

Hello! 

I am trying to send syslogs to splunk from network devices using udp. I have one heavy forwarder and two indexers, does it matter which indexer i set up to listen for the data?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jmrubio ,

usually Heavy Forwarder are used to ingest syslogs.

Then your HF should forward data to both the Indexers.

Then you should also have a Search Head to search data on the two indexers.

Then usually, to avoid a Single Point of Failure, it's better to have two HFs with a Load Balancer in front of them that manages load distribution andfail over

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jmrubio ,

usually Heavy Forwarder are used to ingest syslogs.

Then your HF should forward data to both the Indexers.

Then you should also have a Search Head to search data on the two indexers.

Then usually, to avoid a Single Point of Failure, it's better to have two HFs with a Load Balancer in front of them that manages load distribution andfail over

Ciao.

Giuseppe

jmrubio
Explorer

I have to work with what I have so it's going from the hf to the indexers. Thanks for the response @gcusello !!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
Even splunk can receive syslog feed you shouldn’t use it for that. With splunk you will lost more those events than using some real syslog server. On production use always HA syslog server instead of HF with syslog receiver.
r. Ismo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...