Splunk Search

What is the best way to search for patterns in username field values?

moshiro

Need help with searching for patterns in username field values...

I want to know if anyone has suggestions for the best way to search for a pattern in a username field. Do I use subsearches or a join or anything else? The username field is a concatenation of the first_name and last_name fields and then 4 digits are added to the end.

Examples:

first_name          last_name          username
rina                Goletz             rigol9911
dannie              Parden             dannparde1234

I was thinking of extracting first two digits of first_name and first_name fields then searching for:

| search username="first_name_first_two\.*last_name_first_two.\*\d\d\d\d"

What would be the best way to accomplish that search?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

it's probably going to be using match or like, rather than =.. not sure of the exact escaping, but you should make your .* lazy with a ?.

| where match(username,"first_name_first_two\.*?last_name_first_two.\*?\d{4}"
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | where match(username, "(?i)^" . substr(first_name,1, 2) . ".*" . substr(last_name,1, 2) . ".*\d{4}$")
0 Karma

maciep
Champion

so are there any rules to building the username or is it just whatever the admin felt like concatenating from the first and last names at the time? Anyway, something like this maybe?

your search | eval search_string = "(?i)" . substr(first_name,1,2) . ".*" . substr(last_name,1,2) . ".*\d{4}$" | where match(username,search_string)
0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

This rex should point you in the right direction:

\s{1}\w+\d{4}(?P<username>[^ ]+)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...