Splunk Search

What is the best way to extract data when my log has with comma separated fields and the field-value pairs are separated by a colon?

nunyabizness123

How would I go about parsing out/extracting the field data for the following log format?

"fieldname1":"fieldvalue1","timestamp":"2017-02-07 14:19:54.166","ip_address":"3.3.3.3","user_id":"USER1"
"fieldname1":"fieldvalue1","timestamp":"2017-02-07 14:19:52.395","fieldname2":"fieldvalue2","user_id":"USER2"
"fieldname1":"fieldvalue1","timestamp":"2017-02-07 14:19:50.316","ip_address":"8.8.8.8","fieldname2":"fieldvalue2"

Not all lines of logs will contain all the same fields, but field names are constant. The fields are always comma separated and then in "field":"value" pairs. Currently, I have separate field extractions for each interesting field such as:

\"fieldname1\":\"(?P[a-zA-z]*)

Is this the right way to do this or is there an easier or more proper method?

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@nunyabizness123 - Did the answer provided by karlbosanquet help provide a working solution to your question? If yes, please don't forget to resolve this post by clicking "Accept". If no, please leave a comment with more feedback. Thanks!

0 Karma

karlbosanquet
Path Finder

Have you had a look at DELIMS in transforms.conf? Here is something that should work;

[comma_colon]
DELIMS = ",", ":"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...