Splunk Search

What is the best way to compare emails in two different formats

mlevsh
Builder

I have two fields, I need to compare, that contain an email address, but in different format:
Format 1) firstname.lastname@domain.com
Format 2) firstname_lastname_domain_com

What's the best way to compare those fields?

Thank you in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

Personally, I'd convert the events with the first format to match the second format and then compare them. It would be something like this run anywhere command:
| makeresults| eval first="first.last@test.com", second="first_last_test_com" | eval compare_first=first | rex mode=sed field=compare_first "s/[\.@]/_/g" | where compare_first=second

And if you didn't need to preserve the first one, you could make it even easier:
| makeresults| eval first="first.last@test.com", second="first_last_test_com" | rex mode=sed field=first "s/[\.@]/_/g" | where first=second

View solution in original post

elliotproebstel
Champion

Personally, I'd convert the events with the first format to match the second format and then compare them. It would be something like this run anywhere command:
| makeresults| eval first="first.last@test.com", second="first_last_test_com" | eval compare_first=first | rex mode=sed field=compare_first "s/[\.@]/_/g" | where compare_first=second

And if you didn't need to preserve the first one, you could make it even easier:
| makeresults| eval first="first.last@test.com", second="first_last_test_com" | rex mode=sed field=first "s/[\.@]/_/g" | where first=second

mlevsh
Builder

Thank you @elliotproebstel for your suggestions. Will try to use that!
I've converted the regular formatted email "firstname.lastname@domain.com" to the second format by
replacing "." and "@" with "_":

Field "userid" had value firstname.lastname@domain.com.

...|eval useridformated = replace(userid,"\.","_") | eval useridformated = replace(useridformated,"@","_") ...
0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

you could always convert one to the other format then directly compare them using regular expressions
or break up the address into fields (firstname, lastname, domain, etc) and compare each piece directly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...