Splunk Search

WILDCARD in LookUp .csv files

boromir
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have a challenge, that i have been struggling for the past few days, and can't find the correct solution.

I have read

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Can-we-use-wildcard-characters-in-a-lookup-table/td-p/...

and done pretty much exactly the same thing, but it doesn't work for me. So here are the details.

I have a simple lookup csv file (2 columns ), first one with starting digits

prefix, state

23401*, log1

23402*,log2

34602*,log5

....etc

I have used the GUI to create the lookup definitions, but i have also double-cheked transformes.conf and props.conf. It is exactly as in the example in the link. I can't make the wildcard work for me.

Here is a simple search line just to illustrate

source="log2.log" host="prod-splunk-indexer" sourcetype="testsource" |

lookup prefixlookup.csv prefix OUTPUT state |

table prefix state

If i create lookup with exact matches, it works for the match everytime, however, my client requires only prefixchecks, and to me WILDCARD is the only solution.

Any ideas?

PS.

I have actually created exact replica of the case(user,username, userlookup, etc) in the linked example, still doesn't work

Have a great day!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

boromir
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have to say , I found the issue that was bugging me. As suggested, it was something simple , that was in front of me all the time.

Here is what didn't work:

sourcetype="log2" | lookup ranges.csv comment OUTPUT state  | table comment state

And here is what worked:

sourcetype="log2" | lookup ranges comment OUTPUT state  | table comment state

I can't believe I didn't figure it out earlier, but hey, learning is a process 🙂

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Kwip
Contributor

Hi @boromir 

Can you try the below, 

Go to Lookup definition --> Advanced options --> Match Type, and enter WILDCARD(FieldName)

FieldName - The field which consists of wild card in the lookup file. 

Check and let me know if you still come across any issues. 

0 Karma

boromir
Path Finder

Hi,

Thanks for responding:)

Exacltly the same. I feel like I am missing something. I can't even make the example work.

As mentioned, I am now fighting to make the example from the link to work, and have completely put my put my case on the backburner. So here is what i have , and doesn't work:

userlookup.csv

user,username
user*,USERNAME

transforms.conf

[userlookup]
batch_index_query = 0
case_sensitive_match = 1
filename = userlookup.csv
match_type = WILDCARD(user)

Props.conf

[log2]
LOOKUP-user = userlookup user OUTPUT username

...And for the full picture :

boromir_0-1596187725351.png

I think that the solution is in front of my eyes, but I fail to see it.

0 Karma

Kwip
Contributor

Can you elaborate your requirement a bit more, 

So you want to filter your results with the prefix field values in the csv and again assign a state field value to the results?

If above is your requirement, try the below query. 

source="log2.log" host="prod-splunk-indexer" sourcetype="testsource" prefix=*
    [| inputlookup prefixlookup.csv 
    | table prefix] 
| lookup prefixlookup.csv prefix OUTPUT state 
| table prefix state

0 Karma

boromir
Path Finder

Hi,

Thanks, I will try to explain it better.

My client provides me a table(csv 1000x lines , 2 columns) with prefixes that I will be able to find in the logs from the monitored equipment. Based on those prefixes, I have to structure them, assign them new values, which we will use later. Based on what I have read, Lookup with wildcard in the lookup table is the solution to my challenge, and based on https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Can-we-use-wildcard-characters-in-a-lookup-table/td-p/...

I should be able to get exactly what i need, however , it still doesn't work.

I have tested your example, but it gets me exactly the same result. The wildcard does not match.

Kind regards!

0 Karma

boromir
Path Finder

Hi all,

I have to say , I found the issue that was bugging me. As suggested, it was something simple , that was in front of me all the time.

Here is what didn't work:

sourcetype="log2" | lookup ranges.csv comment OUTPUT state  | table comment state

And here is what worked:

sourcetype="log2" | lookup ranges comment OUTPUT state  | table comment state

I can't believe I didn't figure it out earlier, but hey, learning is a process 🙂

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...