Splunk Search

Using subsearch fields in Main Search

RobKelley06
Path Finder

I am trying to do a search to get all of the POID values and then use them in a 2nd search to see if they appear anywhere.  How can I accomplish this?

index=aws_esf_prod sourcetype="aws:/aws/lambda/lambda-TS4-ESF-transmit-security-activity*" ("journeyId*Q&A" OR "journeyId*OTP Journey" OR "journeyId*fido2_auth" OR "journeyId*mobile_approve") "'policy_version_id'" "device_model" "journeyId" "'poid': '" + POID + "'"
[
  search index=aws_esf_prod sourcetype=aws:ecs source="*sef/sef-app*" "*Detected Fraud IP*" AND NOT "*56789*" AND NOT "*1234*"
  | rex field=_raw "Detected Fraud IP for the User with POID: (?<POID>\d+) and IP Address : (?<IP>.+) and Risk Score : (?<IPRISKSCORE>\d+) and Risk Type : (?<RISKTYPE>\D+)Evidence Details : (?<EVIDENCEDETAILS>.+)"
  | table POID, IP, IPRISKSCORE, RISKTYPE, EVIDENCEDETAILS
]
| timechart span=1m cont=false 
values(POID) AS POID
values(IP) AS IP_ADDRESS 
values(IPRISKSCORE) AS RISK_SCORE
values(RISKTYPE) AS RISK_TYPE
values(EVIDENCEDETAILS) AS EVIDENCE_DETAILS
Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

RobKelley06
Path Finder

I was able to do a rex and then search after and got what I needed.  Thank you for putting me in the right direction.

index=aws_esf_prod sourcetype="aws:/aws/lambda/lambda-TS4-ESF-transmit-security-activity*" ("journeyId*Q&A" OR "journeyId*OTP Journey" OR "journeyId*fido2_auth" OR "journeyId*mobile_approve") "'policy_version_id'" "device_model" "journeyId"
| rex field=_raw "'poid': '(?<POID>\d+)'"
| search
[
  search index=aws_esf_prod sourcetype=aws:ecs source="*sef/sef-app*" "*Detected Fraud IP*" AND NOT "*56789*" AND NOT "*1234*"
  | rex field=_raw "Detected Fraud IP for the User with POID: (?<POID>\d+) and IP Address : (?<IP>.+) and Risk Score : (?<IPRISKSCORE>\d+) and Risk Type : (?<RISKTYPE>\D+)Evidence Details : (?<EVIDENCEDETAILS>.+)"
  | dedup POID
  | table POID
]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

What your subsearch is going to do is create a table of values for POID, IP, IPRISKSCORE, RISKTYPE, EVIDENCEDETAILS and add those to the criteria of your outer search.  It's not adding data to your results stream...rather, just adding criteria (and in your case a bunch of additional AND'ed criteria on your outer search clause).  At first glance the way you structured your subsearch doesn't look like it is doing what you expect it to do since a subsearch in this situation is used to generate dynamic criteria for your search (see more here).

If this overall search is returning the data you want, and just not the fields you already extracted with rex, then you're on the right track...you just need to get those fields generated again.  In that case, do that rex command again before your timechart command.

Also consider if these extractions should be put in a props.conf configuration if you always want them occuring and don't want to use the rex command everywhere.  Don't worry too much - regex extractions like this fail pretty fast and are rather performat if they come across a non-matching event since you're anchoring your match with such a distinct string of "Detected Fraud IP for the User with POID:" versus starting your regex with a greedy term like ".*"

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is it just POID you want to search by (as suggested by your description) or by POID, IP, IPRISKSCORE, RISKTYPE, EVIDENCEDETAILS (as suggested by your subsearch)?

Also, are POID, IP, IPRISKSCORE, RISKTYPE, EVIDENCEDETAILS already extracted in your main index?

RobKelley06
Path Finder

Also POID is not defined as a field in the Main search, if that matters.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, how is POID represented in the events you are trying to search?

0 Karma

RobKelley06
Path Finder

I was able to do a rex and then search after and got what I needed.  Thank you for putting me in the right direction.

index=aws_esf_prod sourcetype="aws:/aws/lambda/lambda-TS4-ESF-transmit-security-activity*" ("journeyId*Q&A" OR "journeyId*OTP Journey" OR "journeyId*fido2_auth" OR "journeyId*mobile_approve") "'policy_version_id'" "device_model" "journeyId"
| rex field=_raw "'poid': '(?<POID>\d+)'"
| search
[
  | dedup POID
  | table POID
]
0 Karma

RobKelley06
Path Finder

... ', 'poid': '1234567890'}  ...

The POID from the subsearch would return 1234567890.  But there would be multiple in the table.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Apart from these being single quotes, this looks like JSON format. If they should be double quotes, perhaps you could extract the field by declaring the sourcetype as being JSON format?

If not, you could try something like this:

[
  | table POID
  | dedup POID
  | eval search= "'poid': '" + POID + "'"
  | table search
  | format
]
0 Karma

RobKelley06
Path Finder

I need to search by POID in the main search, the rest of the fields from the subsearch I can actually remove.  Just realized that I don't need those.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, the question remains, is POID already extracted in your main search?

0 Karma

RobKelley06
Path Finder

No, it is not. I cannot create a new exatraction for the app as this query will be used in multiple.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...