Splunk Search

Using results of join in eval if

blablabla
Path Finder

Hello, 

i have a question regarding the usage of the results of a join within an eval if. I have a couple of responses, to which I am joining their preceeding requests (written in another source)

index="index1" sourcetype="sourcetype1" Response... |table rcvTime Command 
|join type=left left=response right=request usetime=true earlier=true where response.ID=request.ID [search index="index2" sourcetype="sourcetype2" Request ....|table rcvTime Command|sort _time-]

The issue is, that sometimes I get a wrong match, hence a request, that is not connected to the response and was a few days ago. The reason, why they are matched, is because it is the same device ID. 
Thats why I am trying to have an eval for the timediff. If I am using the variable request.command within the if, I will receive empty results:

|join type=left left=response right=request usetime=true earlier=true where response.ID=request.ID [search index="index2" sourcetype="sourcetype2" Request ....|table rcvTime  Command|sort _time-]
|....(commands calculating timediff)
| request.command=if(timediff<300,request.command,"")

If I am saving the value within a field that contains no point in the name, it works properly:

|join type=left left=response right=request usetime=true earlier=true where response.ID=request.ID [search index="index2" sourcetype="sourcetype2" Request ....|table rcvTime Command|sort _time-]
|....(commands calculating timediff)
|rename requestCommand as request.command
| requestCommand=if(timediff<300,requestCommand,"")

Does someone have an idea, why I cannot use request.command within the eval (but on other commands I can use it)?

Thanks and best Regards

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If a fieldname include a point, when using it in functions for example, you should enclose the fieldname in single quotes

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If a fieldname include a point, when using it in functions for example, you should enclose the fieldname in single quotes

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...