Splunk Search

User agent Extraction - Lookup

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi Team 

I am trying to extract few report from user agent. like below 

OS details OS versionBrowserBrowser VersionOperating SystemOperating System VersionMobile device 

Currently i am using eval  ( IF & Case ) to generate report however its very manual process and more time consuming. Please find below command for example 

If - val Device =if(match(cs_user_agent, "iPhone"),"iPhone",if(match(cs_user_agent, "Macintosh"),"iPhone",if(match(cs_user_agent, "iPad"),"iPhone",if(match(cs_user_agent, "Android"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent, "Win64"),"Windows",if(match(cs_user_agent, "14092"),"Windows",if(match(cs_user_agent, "Windows"),"Windows",if(match(cs_user_agent,"SM-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"CPH"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Nokia"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Pixel"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"TB-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"VFD"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"HP%20Pro%20Slate"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"VOG-L09"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"YAL-L21"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"ATU-L22"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MAR-LX1A"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"RNE-L22"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"INE-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"AMN-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LYO-LO2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"DRA-LX9"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LYA-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"ANE-LX2J"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"STK-L22"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"EML-AL00"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"BLA-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"X11"),"Linux",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LDN-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"TB3-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5033T"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5028D"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5002X"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"COR-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MI%20MAX"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"WAS-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"vivo"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"EML-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Moto"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MMB"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Redmi%20Note%208"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"M2003J15SC"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MI%20MAX"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Nexus"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"ELE-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Redmi%20Note%204"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"rv:89.0"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"VKY-L09"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"SmartN11"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"A330"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LM-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"G8341"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"INE-AL00"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Mi"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"CLT"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Android"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"BV9700Pro"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5024I"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MEIZU"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Linux%20X86_64"),"Linux","OTHER")))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Case - val Brand= case(match(cs_user_agent, "CPH"),"Oppo",match(cs_user_agent, "SM-"),"Samsung",match(cs_user_agent, "VFD"),"Vodafone",match(cs_user_agent, "VFD"),"Vodafone",match(cs_user_agent, "VOG"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "ELE"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "CLT"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "EML"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "LYA"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "EVR"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "BLA"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "DRA"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "LDN"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "YAL-L21"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "ATU-L22"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "MAR-LX1A"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "X11"),"Linux",match(cs_user_agent, "INE-LX2"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "AMN-"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "RNE-L22"),"Honor",match(cs_user_agent, "LYO"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "ANE"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "STK"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "BLA"),"Huawei",match(cs_user_agent, "TB3-"),"Lenovo",match(cs_user_agent, "5033T"),"Alcatel",match(cs_user_agent, "5028D"),"Alcatel",match(cs_user_agent, "5002X"),"Alcatel",match(cs_user_agent, "iPhone"),"iPhone",match(cs_user_agent, "20Win64"),"Desktop",1=1,"other")

Can any one help me on how do i use  lookup? or automatic lookup so it fills a "human-readable" type into a separate field.

Thanks 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi 

Not really, the output is coming with some errors like counts are similar for iphone & Desktop. please find below screen shot

jaibalaraman_0-1633122663078.png

Also could you please help me with some sample lookup command based on the case statement which you suggested

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you share the current search?

0 Karma

jaibalaraman
Path Finder

Hi , yes

| eval Device = if(match(cs_user_agent,"SM-"),"Android", if(match(cs_user_agent,"CPH"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Nokia"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Pixel"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"TB-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"VFD"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"HP%20Pro%20Slate"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"VOG-L09"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"YAL-L21"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"ATU-L22"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MAR-LX1A"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"RNE-L22"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"INE-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"AMN-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LYO-LO2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"DRA-LX9"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LYA-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"ANE-LX2J"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"STK-L22"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"EML-AL00"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"BLA-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"X11"),"Linux",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LDN-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"TB3-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5033T"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5028D"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5002X"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"COR-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MI%20MAX"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"WAS-LX2"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"vivo"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"EML-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Moto"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MMB"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Redmi%20Note%208"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"M2003J15SC"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MI%20MAX"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Nexus"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"ELE-L29"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Redmi%20Note%204"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"rv:89.0"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"VKY-L09"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"SmartN11"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"A330"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"LM-"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"G8341"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"INE-AL00"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Mi"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"CLT"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"Android"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"BV9700Pro"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"5024I"),"Android",if(match(cs_user_agent,"MEIZU"),"Android","OTHER"))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
| stats count by Device | sort -count

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry, I assumed you were using the my suggested case statement - rather than your original nested if statement. Are you saying that if statement is what gives you the results in your screenshot?

As for your question on examples of the lookup command, my earlier post showed you how to use the lookup command to get what you want, you will just need to create your lookup as I suggeted. You will not need the case statement if you use a lookup.

See the lookup description here

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.2/SearchTutorial/Usefieldlookups

and how to set up wildcard lookups here

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.2/Knowledge/Addfieldmatchingrulestoyourlookupconfig...

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are using match/if in the wrong way - for this type of match you should be using case statement, not if and you should use the features of match so that you use regular expressions rather than a match statement for a single string. Instead you could use this syntax - try this complete search - but the case statement is what you can use in yours...

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval cs_user_agent=split("iPhone,Nokia,VOG-LO8,VOG-L09,Android,X11,Redmi%20Note%204", ",")
| mvexpand cs_user_agent
| eval Device = case(
  match(cs_user_agent, "iPhone|Macintosh|iPad"),"iPhone",
  match(cs_user_agent, "(?i)win64|14092|windows"),"Windows", 
  match(cs_user_agent, "Android|SM-|CPH|Nokia|Pixel|TB-|VFD|HP%20Pro%20Slate|VOG-L09|YAL-L21|ATU-L22|MAR-LX1A|RNE-L22|INE-LX2|AMN-LX2|LYO-LO2|DRA-LX9|LYA-L29|ANE-LX2J|STK-L22|EML-AL00|BLA-L29|LDN-LX2|TB3-|5033T|5028D|5002X|COR-|MI%20MAX|WAS-LX2|vivo|EML-L29|Moto|MMB|Redmi%20Note%208|M2003J15SC|MI%20MAX|Nexus|ELE-L29|Redmi%20Note%204|rv:89.0|VKY-L09|SmartN11|A330|LM-|G8341|INE-AL00|Mi|CLT|BV9700Pro|5024I|MEIZU"), "Android",
  match(cs_user_agent, "X11|Linux%20X86_64"),"Linux", 
  1==1, "OTHER")

You could technically use a lookup, where each row of the lookup contains

*XXX*,YYY

where XXX is the expression you want and YYY is the device. Then make a lookup definition that uses that field as a wildcard, e.g. WILDCARD(cs_user_agent)

and then do 

| lookup lookup_definition cs_user_agent OUTPUT Device

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...