Splunk Search

Use a field as time in a chart for a specific search?

mattdavid

Hello,

I am creating searches/charts for multiple events in a single log file. For most of events, the default time field is what I want to graph the timechart against. However, for a specific case, the actual time I want to graph against is represented in milliseconds in a field "time". I want to be able to chart this as my x-axis, displayed properly as a date would be, but I have no idea how this can be done.

Apologies if this is a simple/obvious answer, but I haven't found anything in the chart/timechart documentation pages.

Thank you.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could try:

... | eval _time=strptime("%s%3N",time) | chart max(duration) by _time

mattdavid

Hmm, I couldn't get strptime to work properly to format my milliseconds format, which actually should have been strptime(time, "%3N") or strptime(time, "%Q").

However, using eval _time=... gave me an idea to reformat the time being logged in seconds (the format of _time for all log entries) and simply use eval _time=time, which seems to have worked perfectly.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can do this via xyseries:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Xyseries

There are other methods to get the type of chart you want, but this is the first that comes to mind.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Gerald has the right answer... I thought you wanted to leverage a field called time to graph as one of the axis. You are simply asking to rework the time field and how it is displayed.

0 Karma

mattdavid

Sorry, I think I was being a little roundabout in my description.

I'm able to use the field 'time' in the x-axis of chart. My issue I'm trying to resolve is that the time displays in milliseconds, and I want it converted to a readable date/time format, if this is possible.

My simple chart definition is as follows: chart max(duration) over time by host

I'm not too sure how an xyseries would improve upon this situation.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...