Splunk Search

Update output count as percent

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Explorer

I am trying to generate a list of the percentages of response codes by resultCode by app.  

A simplified version of events are:

appName=app1, resultCode=500
appName=app1, resultCode=500
appName=app1, resultCode=404
appName=app2, resultCode=404

If I do 
<initial search that returns the above events>   |   stats count by appName resultCode

it gets me very close to what I am trying to do and outputs something like this to the Statistics tab:

appNameresultCodecount
app150025
app140410
app1200100
app2500

I need to take this one step further, and have an output that instead of showing the count by resultCode, will instead show the percentage each resultCode comprises by appName.  

The ideal result is:

appName200404500
app19028
app285105

This is ideal, but even if the result was 
app1, 200, 90
app1, 404, 2
app1, 500, 8
(where the columns are appName, resultCode, and percentage (based on the count of events by code for an app over all events for the app)

I can get a count of events by appName in a separate query to be able to get to the total, but I am just not finding how to use that specific appName's total used for each of the specific app error values all together.  

I'm missing how to do 
| stats count by appName as appTotal
| stats count by appName resultCode as appResult
| eval resultPerc=rount((appResult*100)/appTotal, 2)

and have that show in a table in a way that can be clearly displayed.  

Thanks for any ideas on what I might be missing here would be appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dtburrows3
Builder

I think this SPL should do what you are asking.

<base_search>
    | stats
        count as count
            by appName, resultCode
    | eventstats
        sum(count) as app_total_count
            by appName
    | eval
        pct_of_total=round(('count'/'app_total_count')*100, 3)
    | chart 
        sum(pct_of_total) as pct_of_total
            over appName
            by resultCode
    | fillnull value=0.000

Using dummy data on my local instance I was able to get the output to look like this.

dtburrows3_0-1703807195486.png

where each cell value represents the percentage of events that occurred with that status code for each app.

For a full overview of how I simulated locally you can reference this code.

| makeresults
    | eval
        appName="app1",
        resultCode=500
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app1",
                    resultCode=500
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app1",
                    resultCode=split("404|404|200|404|500|404|200", "|")
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app2",
                    resultCode=split("200|200|404|200", "|")
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app3",
                    resultCode=split("404|200|200|200|500|404|200", "|")
            ]
    | mvexpand resultCode
    ``` below is the relevant SPL ```
    | stats
        count as count
            by appName, resultCode
    | eventstats
            by appName
    | eval
    | chart 
        values(pct_of_total) as pct_of_total
            over appName
            by resultCode
    | fillnull value=0.000

Edit:
And to use this at scale (more that 10 unique status_codes) you would need to add a limit=<number> parameter to the chart command, otherwise it will populate another values named "OTHER" after 10 unique values are transformed.
This is what a bigger table would look like

dtburrows3_0-1703809436331.png

Notice there is also another field at the right of the table to give more context at the total count of status codes seen for each application so that percentages can be inferred to a total count if desired.

Code to do this would look something like this. (Added comments for each line to add detail)

<base_search>
    ``` simple count of events for each unique combo of appName/resultCode values ```
    | stats
        count as count
            by appName, resultCode
    ``` sum up the counts accross each unique appName ```
    | eventstats
            by appName
    ``` add aditional rows as a Total count for each unique appName value (This is optional since this step is just providing more context to the final table) ```
    | appendpipe
        [
            | stats
                sum(count) as count
                   by appName
            | eval
                resultCode="Total",
                app_total_count='count'
            ] 
    ``` calculate percentage of occurrence for a particular resultCode across each unique appName
        with the exception of the Total rows, for these we want to just carry over the total app count (for context) 
    ```
    | eval
        pct_of_total=if(
            'resultCode'=="Total",
                'count',
                round(('count'/'app_total_count')*100, 2)
            )
    ``` 
        This chart command builds a sort contingency table, using the derived 'pct_of_total' values and putting them in there respective cell when 
        appName values are in the left-most column and using the values from resultCode as the table header.
        Note: If a specific resultCode that showed for one app that did not show for another, then charting this way will leave a blank slot in that cell.
        To get around this we will use a fillnull command in the next step of the search.
        Adding the limit=<number> parameter sets your upper limit of the number of columns to generate for each unique resultCode value. This defaults to 10 if not specified and for resultCode values exceeding the top 10 will fall into the bucket "OTHER" and be tabled that way. 
        Example: If you only want to see the top 3 resultCode values in the table and dont want an additional column "OTHER", you have the option to also set 'useother=false' along with 'limit=3'
    ```
    | chart limit=100 useother=true
        sum(pct_of_total)
            over appName,
            by resultCode
    ``` renaming the "Total" column name to something more descriptive ```
    | rename
        Total as "Total Count for App"
    ``` fill any blank cells with 0 as this is the implied percentage if it is null ```
    | fillnull value=0.00

View solution in original post

dtburrows3
Builder

I think this SPL should do what you are asking.

<base_search>
    | stats
        count as count
            by appName, resultCode
    | eventstats
            by appName
    | eval
    | chart 
        sum(pct_of_total) as pct_of_total
            over appName
            by resultCode
    | fillnull value=0.000

Using dummy data on my local instance I was able to get the output to look like this.

dtburrows3_0-1703807195486.png

where each cell value represents the percentage of events that occurred with that status code for each app.

For a full overview of how I simulated locally you can reference this code.

| makeresults
    | eval
        appName="app1",
        resultCode=500
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app1",
                    resultCode=500
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app1",
                    resultCode=split("404|404|200|404|500|404|200", "|")
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app2",
                    resultCode=split("200|200|404|200", "|")
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    appName="app3",
                    resultCode=split("404|200|200|200|500|404|200", "|")
            ]
    | mvexpand resultCode
    ``` below is the relevant SPL ```
    | stats
        count as count
            by appName, resultCode
    | eventstats
            by appName
    | eval
    | chart 
        values(pct_of_total) as pct_of_total
            over appName
            by resultCode
    | fillnull value=0.000

Edit:
And to use this at scale (more that 10 unique status_codes) you would need to add a limit=<number> parameter to the chart command, otherwise it will populate another values named "OTHER" after 10 unique values are transformed.
This is what a bigger table would look like

dtburrows3_0-1703809436331.png

Notice there is also another field at the right of the table to give more context at the total count of status codes seen for each application so that percentages can be inferred to a total count if desired.

Code to do this would look something like this. (Added comments for each line to add detail)

<base_search>
    ``` simple count of events for each unique combo of appName/resultCode values ```
    | stats
        count as count
            by appName, resultCode
    ``` sum up the counts accross each unique appName ```
    | eventstats
            by appName
    ``` add aditional rows as a Total count for each unique appName value (This is optional since this step is just providing more context to the final table) ```
    | appendpipe
        [
            | stats
                sum(count) as count
                   by appName
            | eval
                resultCode="Total",
                app_total_count='count'
            ] 
    ``` calculate percentage of occurrence for a particular resultCode across each unique appName
        with the exception of the Total rows, for these we want to just carry over the total app count (for context) 
    ```
    | eval
        pct_of_total=if(
            'resultCode'=="Total",
                'count',
                round(('count'/'app_total_count')*100, 2)
            )
    ``` 
        This chart command builds a sort contingency table, using the derived 'pct_of_total' values and putting them in there respective cell when 
        appName values are in the left-most column and using the values from resultCode as the table header.
        Note: If a specific resultCode that showed for one app that did not show for another, then charting this way will leave a blank slot in that cell.
        To get around this we will use a fillnull command in the next step of the search.
        Adding the limit=<number> parameter sets your upper limit of the number of columns to generate for each unique resultCode value. This defaults to 10 if not specified and for resultCode values exceeding the top 10 will fall into the bucket "OTHER" and be tabled that way. 
        Example: If you only want to see the top 3 resultCode values in the table and dont want an additional column "OTHER", you have the option to also set 'useother=false' along with 'limit=3'
    ```
    | chart limit=100 useother=true
        sum(pct_of_total)
            over appName,
            by resultCode
    ``` renaming the "Total" column name to something more descriptive ```
    | rename
        Total as "Total Count for App"
    ``` fill any blank cells with 0 as this is the implied percentage if it is null ```
    | fillnull value=0.00

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Explorer

Thanks!!! That is EXACTLY what I was trying to do and just was not getting.  The solution makes complete sense and is cleaner than I expected.  Thanks for taking the time to give all the information/help!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ,

try the chart command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/SearchReference/Chart😞

<initial search that returns the above events>   
| chart count OVER appName BY resultCode

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Explorer

Hey Giuseppe, thanks for the thought.  I did try the chart command.  The way you have it does show it more cleanly then I had in my initial question, but I still have the same question/problem of how I can calculate and show the values as the percentages.  Everything I do with just chart is still showing the counts and not percents.  

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

have you look at eventstats with chart?

r. Ismo

0 Karma

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Explorer

Hey, thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I tried stats/eventstats.  I can get the counts to show, but I don't see how I can get the query to count up the total per app, then use that to calculate the percent of each error per app.  Everything I try, like the snips I showed in my question just don't seem to get me closer to being able to show percentages. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@dtburrows3 already shows you how you could combine those together.

1st count total with event stats and then calculate and present with chart.

Usually these will remember better when you need to learn those by yourself without just getting the correct answer 😉

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

Generaly yes, If we were to just copypasta the correct solution here then it may have a hard time sticking for them.
I have found that learning by worked examples with detailed explanation for doing things a certain way tends to stick well.
(Provided that the questioner is actually interested in learning and improving their Splunk skills)

So hopefully the OP can takeaway some additional knowledge that can be applied elsewhere on their Splunk journey.
Also at the same time, they do not have to stress about meeting job deadlines trying to figure out the nudges in the correct direction.

I'm new here on the forums and don't quite know the etiquette yet.
Just trying to spread Splunk knowledge in a manner that I feel would be the most beneficial for me if I were posting a question here.

Happy Splunking!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...