Splunk Search

Trying to get difference between _time and _indextime in secs format

vinay4444
Explorer

Tried using below search, but can't get result. I get null values in diff:

XXX| eval indextime=strftime(_indextime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")  |eval capturetime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")  | eval diff= tostring(indextime - capturetime) | table indextime capturetime diff

Am I missing something?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Just do the diff calculation on the actual epoch value, before your strftime evals.

XXX| eval diff= _indextime - _time | eval indextime=strftime(_indextime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |eval capturetime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |  | table indextime capturetime diff

View solution in original post

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Just do the diff calculation on the actual epoch value, before your strftime evals.

XXX| eval diff= _indextime - _time | eval indextime=strftime(_indextime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |eval capturetime=strftime(_time,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") |  | table indextime capturetime diff

vinay4444
Explorer

i tried that but it does not give the difference in min or secs
e.g
capturetime indextime diff
2015-12-04 07:33:44 2015-12-04 07:33:50 6

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

The diff field is in seconds.
The _indextime and _time fields are in unix epoch time format, the number of seconds since January 1970. When you subtract one from the other the result is a value expressed in seconds

0 Karma

vinay4444
Explorer

Ok got it thanks!

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

No problem mate. If that's working for you do you mind accepting the answer?

Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...