Splunk Search

Transformation fields using Splunk UI

veera9

Team,
I need help in defining 3 new fields using Splunk User interface.

1. Decision=Agree , Field Name should be "Decision" and Matching values is "Agree".
  2. Fieldname is "Time" , need this in the Timestamp format ( Dateand HH:MM:SS)
  3. SourceIP

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @Sukisen1981 says, example data is needed. Without it, almost any answer will be a shot in the dark. You can obfuscate the data, but don't change the nature of it so that it is useful in helping you.

0 Karma

veera9

Is it OK to use "eval" in the Splunk field transformation UI?

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As far as I know there is no way to do eval type expression in the Transformations. Not in the UI, or in the .conf files.

0 Karma

veera9

Thank you so much. Below are my requirements:

I want to define a field using the UI in Field Transformations in Field settings:

The field need to match a string value ex: "Agreed". I want the field name to be defined as "Decision".

When I search in the search box, I want the field "Decision" to appear in the list of fields.
Thank you for your time.
Raghu

0 Karma

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You may want a transform. You may want a field extraction. They are similar. If the fields you want are related to a sourcetype, or to a source, then do a field extraction. If you want it to happen on any data, then do a transform.

But, I can't help you without an example data to look at. Just to look for a string and then make a field could be useful, and may not be. I assume from your description that you could have something other than Agreed as a value for Decision, otherwise you would never care about doing a field extraction. What you ask for without an example is equivalent to marking everything blue that you see as your favorite car.

0 Karma

Sukisen1981
Champion

1- Not clear, assuming you have a field, say X which has 'agree' and other values, if so try
eval Decision=Case(X="Agree","Decision")
2- eval Time=strftime(_time,"%d %H:%M:%S"). Are you missing year and/ or month components?
3- Witthout looking at your data its is hard to say but have you looked at this? ip extraction is very common question answered many times befre

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/49448/extract-ip-address-with-rex-or-trim.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/48882/need-to-extract-ip-address.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/438684/rex-ip-address-extraction.html

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...