Splunk Search

Today date and previous day data

uagraw01
Builder

I want to calculate todays date data and previous day data from the host. Please suggest SPL for this.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

if in yyour search you can use only the index time fields (index, sourcetyoe, source and host) you can use "|metasearch", having someting like this:

| metasearch index=_internal earliest=-d@d latest=now
| eval date_year=strftime(_time,"%Y"), date_month=strftime(_time,"%B"),date_mday=strftime(_time,"%d")
| eval now_date_year=strftime(now(),"%Y"), now_date_month=strftime(now(),"%B"),now_date_mday=strftime(now(),"%d")
| eval day=if(date_year=now_date_year AND date_month=now_date_month AND date_mday=now_date_mday,"Today","Previous")
| stats count BY day
| delta count AS diff
| reverse
| table diff
| head 1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @uagraw01 just curious - earliest and latest variables are ok or not ok?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @inventsekar,

I tried on my Splunk and correctly worked.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
At least in some older versions of splunk only official way was use all time as search period with metasearch. With other periods result was or wasn’t exactly correct. I’m not sure if this UFs still valid or not. Unfortunately I couldn’t find where I have gotten this information and could evaluate it now.
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

see if this example solves your need:

index=_internal
| eval day=if(date_year=strftime(now(),"%Y") AND date_month=lower(strftime(now(),"%B")) AND date_mday=strftime(now(),"%d"),"Today","Previous")
| stats count BY day

Ciao.

Giuseppe

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello  I want the difference between pervious day count of the host and current day count of the host. I want comparison panel in my dashboard

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

as I said, I don't know in deep your need, but you can use my approach.

so using a search like mine you can display the count of events of today and previous day so you can compare the two numbers.

If you want more help, you should share more infos, e.g.:

• what's you main search
  • which count you want to compare (e.g. numer of hosts).

so if you want to display the diference in numer of logging hosts between today and yesterday, you could run something like this:

index=_internal earliest=-d@d latest=now
| eval day=if(date_year=strftime(now(),"%Y") AND date_month=lower(strftime(now(),"%B")) AND date_mday=strftime(now(),"%d"),"Today","Previous")
| stats dc(host) AS hosts BY day
| delta hosts AS diff
| table diff

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Ciao.

Giuseppe

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello  Can you suggest me another method. I mean another SPL. Because this search is very slow while executing. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

if in yyour search you can use only the index time fields (index, sourcetyoe, source and host) you can use "|metasearch", having someting like this:

| metasearch index=_internal earliest=-d@d latest=now
| eval date_year=strftime(_time,"%Y"), date_month=strftime(_time,"%B"),date_mday=strftime(_time,"%d")
| eval now_date_year=strftime(now(),"%Y"), now_date_month=strftime(now(),"%B"),now_date_mday=strftime(now(),"%d")
| eval day=if(date_year=now_date_year AND date_month=now_date_month AND date_mday=now_date_mday,"Today","Previous")
| stats count BY day
| delta count AS diff
| reverse
| table diff
| head 1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

uagraw01
Builder

@gcusello  It is working fine now . Thanks for yours extended help.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

good for you, please accept the answer for the other people of Community.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

 Below is "no result" i am getting. I need todays day count, previous day count and the difference between todays count and previous day count. From the above query as you suggested not getting any results.

IMG_20201020_202435.jpg

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @uagraw01,

this is because you have only today's events!

enlarge your data frame and you'll have results.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...