Splunk Search

Timechart with multiple where like statements

Marco
Communicator

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to plot multiple values onto a time chart. These values are collected through a Where Like statement.

For Example:

host=* time count(where like(COMMAND,"%  MKDIR%")) as "MKDIR", count(where like(COMMAND,"%  LS%")) as "LS", count(where like(COMMAND,"CHMOD")) as "CHMOD"

the output i'm getting is a blank time chart.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @Marco , I have updated the query , could you try this and see it that works?

...| eval MKDIR=If(Like(COMMAND,"%MKDIR%"),1,0),LS=if(Like(COMMAND,"% LS%"),1,0),CHMOD=if(Like(COMMAND,"%CHMOD%"),1,0)
| timechart sum(MKDIR) as MKDIR sum(LS) as LS sum(CHMOD) as CHMOD

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @Marco have you tried 

host=* COMMAND="* MKDIR*" OR  COMMAND="* LS*" OR COMMAND="*CHMOD*" | timechart  count by COMMAND

Marco
Communicator

That's a bit closer to what I was looking for except its plotting out users that issued the command versus the count of how many people issued each different command.

What i'm looking for is something more like this:

samp.png

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @Marco , I have updated the query , could you try this and see it that works?

...| eval MKDIR=If(Like(COMMAND,"%MKDIR%"),1,0),LS=if(Like(COMMAND,"% LS%"),1,0),CHMOD=if(Like(COMMAND,"%CHMOD%"),1,0)
| timechart sum(MKDIR) as MKDIR sum(LS) as LS sum(CHMOD) as CHMOD

0 Karma

Marco
Communicator

Thank you so much it worked!!!! @Nisha18789 

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

ok, so it appears like the COMMAND field is not just containing the command but the user info as well who requested it ? If so, we can first extract a new field from the COMMAND field to separate out the commands and then perform a timechart on that. Can you share a few values of the COMMAND field?

0 Karma

Marco
Communicator

Hi @Nisha18789 

Correct the Command field contains a whole string

ex: 

COMMAND="Aug 18 13:01:5RMDIR (userid)  "

COMMAND="Aug 18 13:00:04 MKDIR (JOHNDOE)  "

COMMAND="Aug 18 13:00:06 LS(SALLY)  "

COMMAND="Aug 18 13:00:09 MKDIR (TOM)"

Which is why I originally used the Where Like functions  since in a way it searches the string to see if a part of the string matches the given parameters. Followed by the count function to count each occurrence. 

Unfortunately the solution you suggested gave me a blank time chart. 

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

@Marco , please try the updated query and let me know if that works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...